585,679 active members*
5,790 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Boss 1 CNC upgrade

I currently have a Bridgeport Boss 1 CNC with two INDUSTRIAL DEVICES S6002‘s, a mesa card, and a vfd running Linux CNC. Worked great and problem free for over a year and now Linux is randomly crashing loading programs.

I just purchased a second Bridgeport Boss 1 CNC that I am going to update. I would like to run Mach 3 as I am more familiar with it and windows OS. I plan on using Gecko g203v drivers. Is there a breakout board that will work with a modern 64 bit pc? Ethernet? The write ups I have found online use the “hillbilly” board but it looks like it may no longer be made.

Re: Bridgeport Boss 1 CNC upgrade

mesa board doesn't work with mach 3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    I currently have a Bridgeport Boss 1 CNC with two INDUSTRIAL DEVICES S6002‘s, a mesa card, and a vfd running Linux CNC. Worked great and problem free for over a year and now Linux is randomly crashing loading programs.

I just purchased a second Bridgeport Boss 1 CNC that I am going to update. I would like to run Mach 3 as I am more familiar with it and windows OS. I plan on using Gecko g203v drivers. Is there a breakout board that will work with a modern 64 bit pc? Ethernet? The write ups I have found online use the “hillbilly” board but it looks like it may no longer be made.
    You most likely be best with a regular Breakout board with 2 or 3 Relays from $10 to $30 and a UC100 this works great with Mach3 is a USB connection though but have never had any problems with this connection

Breakout Board like this can get from Amazon
    Mactec54

I would take a look at PMDX products. I have done several retrofits including a BP series
    one running Mach3. It is running four axis using Gecko 203Vs.
    Very clean and easy installation with their motherboard and breakout board.
    Good documentation and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post

Why not try NC based CNC controller like Fanuc control with AC servos, it is more reliable and more powerful, if Fanuc is too expensive, you can try other brands.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html