584,837 active members*
5,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V32 vs. V21 My thoughts

V32 vs. V21 My thoughts

I've been using V21 up until now. Started with V32 a few months ago. I've done a few simple parts with V32 but it seems I keep getting stuck on simple things, reverting back to 21 so I can get the job done.

V32 likes to crash on simulation, I've learned to always save first.

I really miss Tool Tips in V32, it was nice to just put the cursor on a line and get its length, angle and layer (along with end points).

What I hate the most is not being able to save my G-code in the drawing. Bobcad seems to think they create perfect code that needs no modification whats-so-ever. I've not gotten that yet. I have got code that is really good at breaking end mills. 17ipm for a 1/16" end mill is ridiculous even in aluminum.

I can draw fairly well in V32 both 2D and 3D so that's a good thing. I guess to get help with toolpaths I need to post a drawing here, that will be my next post.

Overall I think I like the new version, just a pita getting up to speed with it.

Re: V32 vs. V21 My thoughts

To me V21 is the last of the great BobCADs. I've been using V20, which is nearly identical, for many many years. I also like my G-code right in front of me as I'm creating and modifying it. For all practical purposes, I use the CAM side of the software to fill in all my X - Y - and most Z coordinates, where I do the rest of the G and M codes with copy and paste. I do use Profile a lot also. With two very simple settings (arc radius and lead in distance) it makes perfect cutter comped tool paths with just a few clicks.

I got V23 which is about where they changed everything. I tried and tried but never got it to stop cutting air maybe 40% of the time. I'm certain that the new versions run circles around V23 but still, I've never been able to get past the ineptitude of the software. I'm sure some of that was me too, but V20 has allowed me to make some pretty great parts over the years. Many times on large logo engravings, I'd use V23 to fix the BobART tool paths and create the pocketing code, but then back plot the G code in V20 so I could see and remove all the excess air cutting and wasted moves. I do wish V20 had simulation that was worth a damn. Other then that though, no complaints.

I have to say that most of the post processor stuff you see posted around here is full of tons of excess junk, and so many of the adaptive tool paths you see on youtube look like a huge wastes of time and machine power. I have nothing against HSM, but most of what I see makes me cringe. Who has the time to run tool paths like that? Maybe part of it is because of all the low rigidity and low power machines being made and used.

Anyway... I'd like to try the latest BobCAD and possibly someday I will, but reading your post I sensed a kindred soul to the older versions that have worked so well for so long. I'd be curious to know if and/or when you ever start to prefer V32 over your V21. Wondering if it's possible, and after how great of a struggle.

Hello BNR_RANDY! You sound just like I did when I finally gave up V21. It's a big adjustment for sure, but if you would like some input from someone who made it a success I'd like to share a few tips.

I'm on V31, started with V21 and I've had nearly every version in between. I perfected my post somewhere around V25, and the only edits to the post I've made is really due to BobCAD improving the post processing engine and I took out some of the custom programming that I had to put in there to get the "perfect code".

I don't have the multi-axis module for BobCAD but I use V31 to post to my 5 axis Haas all the time using 3+2 indexing. I don't do NC edits, ever. Post it, edit file, re-post it, I don't even save the code anymore when the job is done. It can definitely be done! It is going to take a little work, and a little education.

When I bought another (much more expensive) CAM system, I thought it would just be perfect right out of the box. Nope, I had to learn how to edit the posts because I was right back to massaging the code to get what I wanted. I'm very particular about code structure, maybe a little OCD about it.

Tool speeds and feeds? Nope, the much more expensive CAM system wasn't any better there either. That's on you and your particular setup/workholding challenges. There ARE ways to make it easier and more automated, but it will require an investment of time to setup your materials for the HP and rigidity of your machine and tooling. But the best part is, you only really have to do this stuff once!

Frustration is normal. Once you get there I promise you won't look back. I keep upgrading BobCAD because it's so quick for me to punch out quick programs and send them to the machine, perfectly verified with total machine simulation. You'll get there too!

Good luck, and keep plugging away! There is a wealth of information here on BobCAD posts and hundreds of years of experience with the guys on this forum.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mastercam X9/2017 Multiaxis for SolidWorks - Bobcad V29 3ax Pro 4ax Std.

SBC Cycle. So far V32 is really good at breaking tools, there is only one feed/speed per tool. So if you are full width slotting or partial profiling it uses the same feed/speed. ( think pocketing) How do you get around that without manually editing the code? I'm really missing "tool tips" from V21. For those that don't know if you have "tool tips" turned on in V21 whenever you put the cursor on a line or point it pops up a window with x,y start end points, layer, color, angle and length, as soon as you move your cursor it goes away. Handy as hell in my experience.

I think it would be more accurate to say there is only one speed/feed per operation. A tool can have as many speeds and feeds as you have operations (Profile Rough, Profile Finish, etc.)

Personally, I use the DMS system to save tool speeds, feeds, stepover, DOC by material. When I'm doing an aluminum job I load up machining strategies for aluminum and just add my machining geometry. Pockets use one speed and feed, the finish profile is already set for a different speed and feed. But it does require setting it up at least once.

If you are referring to the fact that in a pocket toolpath the first cut is always full width, that's pretty common "problem". That is one area where the other CAM software shines, it does allow for the first full width cut to slow down a bit. In BobCAD, I like to spiral into the pocket to depth and use an Advanced Rough toolpath that controls the profile stepover. There is no full width cut.

The tool tips were cool, and very handy!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mastercam X9/2017 Multiaxis for SolidWorks - Bobcad V29 3ax Pro 4ax Std.

BNR_RANDY, I will echo SBC CYCLE's thoughts on this matter. We upgraded from V20 to V27 and I too was very frustrated with several aspects of the newer version. It is a steep learning curve indeed, but my experience going through the process is there are three things that is required to make your stress level go down.

(1) Modify the Post Processor to output the code in a way that you prefer.
    (2) Setting up the Material Library.
    (3) Setting up the Tool Library

It is a long process, but SBC is correct in saying it only has to be done once.

Unlike SBC, I do edit my code occasionally (usually to put in a M00, or to run a macro) and I actually use V20 to do it. Most of my work is done using wireframe so I do most of my drawing in V20. Open the drawing in the newer version to program and save, then open the code in V20 to edit.

SBC CYCLE helped me to figure out more than a few things along the way. He probably has as much knowledge about Bobcad as anyone on here.

Good Luck!

I'm getting better. Just started to edit my tool crib, seems they totally forgot about number drills. Added in a bunch of boring bars to lathe tooling. I've probably make at least a hundred mods to my post processor so far. Fanuc OM-C