585,761 active members*
4,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepper motors, drivers etc

Stepper motors, drivers etc

Hi, I'm new at this. Been reading here trying to gather enough info to build my first machine. I've got some stuff gathered for maybe a 24"x24" machine.

i started looking into stepper motors and I have some from some big old printers, 8 wire, I'm still a little unclear on the drivers and controls for these though. Can I just get one of the hobby cnc board kits to wire these motors to or do I need a special board for the motors I have.

also seems like some think these motors may be too small. should I just go ahead and get a bigger motor and controls from the onset so that I won't be dissappointed? I was just thinking the free motors might do until I find out if everything is working right and then just step up to a larger motor, but I don't want a motor that/s too small to give me good results.

Thanks!

Hi,

I recommend you build your machine before considering the motors and drives. Then calculate the power requirements for your machine. Or look at what others are using on a similar machine to what you plan to build but keep in mind their motor and drive selection might not be the best. Buying drives to match underpowered stepper motors would not be wise as they would more than likely need replacing for bigger motors.

The 8 wire motors can be run bipolar or unipolar so any drive with the right ratings will work fine. Personally I recommend bipolar more power from your motors.

Link for wiring stepper motors http://www.wimb.net/index.php?s=motion&page=52

John