584,830 active members*
5,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > ER16 "Quick" Change Collet Chuck System

ER16 "Quick" Change Collet Chuck System

I have a limited number of sets of ER16 Collet Chucks modeled after the tooling system used in the Dyna Myte DM2400 bench top mills. It was a limited run on the tools that were made and never did anything with them.
    They are being sold As-Is for $239 for a set of 8 holders, 1 special spindle nut, two wrenches and a tightening fixture. When they are gone they are gone. Contact me directly if interested.
    Marty
    martyDOTescarcegaATgmailDOTcom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210122_175058946.jpg  

Re: ER16 "Quick" Change Collet Chuck System

Marty mind if I share these on the Sherline site? I have a set of the Dyna's and always thought they were a great idea.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Marty mind if I share these on the Sherline site? I have a set of the Dyna's and always thought they were a great idea.
    Not a problem at all. I just used the Dyna Dm2400 as a basis for the design. They may be helpful for all bench mills with an ER16 spindle taper. Though I don't know which machines had those.
    They do eat a little bit of "daylight" under the spindle, but that's not a problem for the DM2x00 series because of their spindle head post.

I felt doing ER16 collet chucks were the most flexible holder so went with those.

Thanks!
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    Not a problem at all. I just used the Dyna Dm2400 as a basis for the design. They may be helpful for all bench mills with an ER16 spindle taper. Though I don't know which machines had those.
    They do eat a little bit of "daylight" under the spindle, but that's not a problem for the DM2x00 series because of their spindle head post.

I felt doing ER16 collet chucks were the most flexible holder so went with those.

Thanks!
    Marty
    An interesting concept it is similar to the Kwik-Switch system that was used on some Bridgeport mills just a lot smaller
    Mactec54

Mactec, very similar concept.
    Always wondered why Sherline didnt run with it. Dyna had it figured out for a manual repeatable tool change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Mactec, very similar concept.
    Always wondered why Sherline didnt run with it. Dyna had it figured out for a manual repeatable tool change.

The only problem is the tooling makes it to long for such a small spindle, just to much stick out for stable cutting
    Mactec54

Yes the actual Dyna ones I have just have a bore for the specific tool diameter.
    They dont use an additional ER16.
    Much shorter stickout than these but still lock in with the same kind of clover nut.

Dyna Myte's allow you to adjust the headstock up on a post giving you more spindle daylight.
    Such a small machine, they work pretty well. The spindle motor is a small 1/2hp DC Brush motor.

Marty

tooling makes it to long for such a small spindle
    yup, that's why is only $239 for 8 holders
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The only problem is the tooling makes it to long for such a small spindle, just to much stick out for stable cutting
    I have a DM2400, purchased from Marty nearly 2 years ago, which includes his spindle collet system. It works very well. Never had any kind of problem with stickout. Everything remains rock solid.

What I really love about this system is that numerous end mills can be pre-mounted in their own collet chucks (which position precisely and reproducibly in the mill spindle), and the tool heights measured and stored ahead of time. Tool changes during a job are thus fast and easy - no need to measure the tool height every time you change cutters.

I've machined aluminum, plus several flavors of plastics.

I get it guys. It may not be for everyone.
    I know of one guy that tested it on a Taig and he was happy.
    I know of two people with DM2400(John who "Hman" is one of them who has had a set for awhile and got some extras. I think John has a friend with a DM2400 who got some for his machine as well) that didn't have any of the original tooling and were really happy to find them so they could setup their tooling and tool library. (Both were converted to new steppers and Centroid Acorn)
    If you buy direct from me instead of ebay, I can save anyone here the 10% ebay commission, so I'll sell a set to anyone here for $215. I'm picking up USPS First Class Priority Shipping.
    I have 8 sets left.

Thank you!
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by hman View Post
    I have a DM2400, purchased from Marty nearly 2 years ago, which includes his spindle collet system. It works very well. Never had any kind of problem with stickout. Everything remains rock solid.

What I really love about this system is that numerous end mills can be pre-mounted in their own collet chucks (which position precisely and reproducibly in the mill spindle), and the tool heights measured and stored ahead of time. Tool changes during a job are thus fast and easy - no need to measure the tool height every time you change cutters.

I've machined aluminum, plus several flavors of plastics.
    Yes they will work very well for light cutting in the materials you are using, I used to make some solid tool holder for them which only stuck outside the nut by 3mm, which worked very well for steel and any other materials you wanted to cut

I would like to get some of the main spindle Nuts if Marty has any
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes they will work very well for light cutting in the materials you are using, I used to make some solid tool holder for them which only stuck outside the nut by 3mm, which worked very well for steel and any other materials you wanted to cut

I would like to get some of the main spindle Nuts if Marty has any
    Mactec,
    PM me....
    Marty

Mactec,
    PM me....
    Marty
    PM sent
    Mactec54

I have a few holders and special nuts left. The tool holder is machined slightly differently from the original sets. (Though, they interchange)
    What you will get:
    1 Special ER16 Spindle nut (Clover opening to accept the ears on the tool holder
    1 Wrench to fit the Special Spindle nut above
    5 ER16 QC Tool Holders with ER16 Collet Nuts

You will have to supply your own wrench for the ER16 nut.
    NO Fixture block for tightening. You will have to make it yourself. Just an aluminum block clearanced for the taper and the 3 ears.
    $169 shipped USPS Priority Mail.

PM me if interested. When these are gone, they are gone.

I have a few holders and special nuts left. The tool holder is machined slightly differently from the original sets. (Though, they interchange)
    What you will get:
    1 Special ER16 Spindle nut (Clover opening to accept the ears on the tool holder
    1 Wrench to fit the Special Spindle nut above
    5 ER16 QC Tool Holders with ER16 Collet Nuts

You will have to supply your own wrench for the ER16 nut.
    NO Fixture block for tightening. You will have to make it yourself. Just an aluminum block clearanced for the taper and the 3 ears.
    $169 shipped USPS Priority Mail.

PM me if interested. When these are gone, they are gone.
    Let me clarify a couple of things. These were a design based on the original Dyna Mechtronics DM 2000 series tool holders. These were made in China by a large company that makes tooling. The project never got off the ground, so I am selling these to recoup my investment in the project. They well made, but being sold as-is, for "parts" I assume no liability for their use and you are expected to use good practice in their use. There are over a dozen sets out there with no problems. I get asked what their run out accuracy is. .001" or better.

The way they work is that there is a special ER16 spindle nut with 3 cut outs where the ears of the tool holder go through. There is a 0 on the nut and there is a 0 over each ear of the holder. The 0's must be in alignment when tightened up. You get the feel for how to clock the nut in order to ensure the assembly is properly secured and aligned when tightened. See the attached pictures for a visual.

I can't have these made again, today they would be much more costly, and I don't think the market is there. If I got a lot of response, I would go back and ask for an updated quote.
    By agreeing to purchase, you understand what you are getting into.

Marty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210901_120643825.jpg   IMG_20210901_120725038.jpg  

Let me clarify a couple of things. These were a design based on the original Dyna Mechtronics DM 2000 series tool holders. These were made in China by a large company that makes tooling. The project never got off the ground, so I am selling these to recoup my investment in the project. They well made, but being sold as-is, for "parts" I assume no liability for their use and you are expected to use good practice in their use. There are over a dozen sets out there with no problems. I get asked what their run out accuracy is. .001" or better.

The way they work is that there is a special ER16 spindle nut with 3 cut outs where the ears of the tool holder go through. There is a 0 on the nut and there is a 0 over each ear of the holder. The 0's must be in alignment when tightened up. You get the feel for how to clock the nut in order to ensure the assembly is properly secured and aligned when tightened. See the attached pictures for a visual.

I can't have these made again, today they would be much more costly, and I don't think the market is there. If I got a lot of response, I would go back and ask for an updated quote.
    By agreeing to purchase, you understand what you are getting into.

Marty
    I still have several sets of these left. I have not been actively advertising them, but did get an inquiry here.
    Marty

I still have a couple sets of these left and some extra holders. Still $169 shipped USPS Priority Mail. Extra holders are $25 each, until they are gone.
    Marty

I still have a couple sets of these left and some extra holders. Still $169 shipped USPS Priority Mail. Extra holders are $25 each, until they are gone.
    Marty
    I can still make up a couple of sets but no longer have the tightening fixture which is basically an aluminum block with a pocket machined into it to hold the tool holder while tightening it.
    Price is still $169 shipped USPS Priority, for 8 holders and the special spindle nut. You have to learn to clock the holder so when you tighten the spindle nut the "0"'s are lined up.

This was a prototype run. Still usable to the right folks. Sold As-Is.
    Marty

I can still make up a couple of sets but no longer have the tightening fixture which is basically an aluminum block with a pocket machined into it to hold the tool holder while tightening it.
    Price is still $169 shipped USPS Priority, for 8 holders and the special spindle nut. You have to learn to clock the holder so when you tighten the spindle nut the "0"'s are lined up.

This was a prototype run. Still usable to the right folks. Sold As-Is.
    Marty
    I am out of standard ER16 Collet nuts. (You can buy standard ER16A collet nuts everywhere, Amazon, Ebay etc)
    I still have holders and the special nuts.
    Price reduced to $159 shipped USPS Flat Rate Priority, for one special spindle nut, 8 holders and one ER20 wrench to hold the spindle nut.
    You will have to machine your own collet fixture tightening block to hold the collet chuck while tightening your bits/tools in the collet chuck. Simply an aluminum block with a hole and 3 slots to engage the ears of the collet chuck.

Again, they are AS-IS, you determine their use and suitability for your application.

Marty