585,597 active members*
3,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LU15 LU25 DOUBLE TURRET LATHE SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING

LU15 LU25 DOUBLE TURRET LATHE SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING

What do you guys recommend or what do you use for pogromming a Two turret okuma? mine is a 1999 (OSP100) I have been trying to find a piece of software that's both affordable and easy to learn is there anything out there?

Re: LU15 LU25 DOUBLE TURRET LATHE SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING

be patient, is under development
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

You should try to search in this forum. Some years ago here was a thread with P command explanation. P in G-code is exactly used for two turret / twin spindle programming. Priority is defined by commanding "P". There were some part program samples in this thread also.
    On the other hand, the lathe with two turrets should be equipped with IGF. Check if it is so. The dialog programming is just the best learning through practice.

The best in my opinion is Okuma's IGF for ease of use when programming 2 turrets , but it leaves some to be desired that a full blown cad can do such as engraving. It's code will be perfectly matched for your machine with no errors and includes even the load monitoring commands. The only other CAD I've seen do that is Gibbscam. Which I like due to it's ease of use and "machinist" style design. You can get by pretty well in Gibbs with a day of training. Others will have you struggling through a week long training class and wondering why they make it so cryptic. They show well and have pretty graphics but are not very efficient at getting things done.

Alas, here come the arguments... ;-)
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    You should try to search in this forum. Some years ago here was a thread with P command explanation. P in G-code is exactly used for two turret / twin spindle programming. Priority is defined by commanding "P". There were some part program samples in this thread also.
    right on, it makes sense too right? you're basically doing the same thing but you're doing it from Operator's side.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    On the other hand, the lathe with two turrets should be equipped with IGF. Check if it is so. The dialog programming is just the best learning through practice.
    I bought the machine thinking it had IGF yet it didn't; the guy lied to me basically. so i only have a USB emulator now to load programs. it kind of sucks because i would've loved IGF

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    The best in my opinion is Okuma's IGF for ease of use when programming 2 turrets , but it leaves some to be desired that a full blown cad can do such as engraving. It's code will be perfectly matched for your machine with no errors and includes even the load monitoring commands. The only other CAD I've seen do that is Gibbscam. Which I like due to it's ease of use and "machinist" style design. You can get by pretty well in Gibbs with a day of training. Others will have you struggling through a week long training class and wondering why they make it so cryptic. They show well and have pretty graphics but are not very efficient at getting things done.

Alas, here come the arguments... ;-)
    no i trust you i will look into GIBBS i have never worked on it before.

what can you do with the lower turret? i was thinking about drilling and boring mostly

The lower turret can do both OD and ID work so it is pretty capable. Many like to use it for pinch turning. My preference is to use the lower for ID work while turning the OD with the upper. Assist with the Lower for things like grooving while roughing,etc.. Okumas are great at synchronized turning and can perfectly match them right to the tenth even when hitting slide hold in the middle of a cut and restarting. You can also use it as a steady rest if need be. Be sure to follow logical rules when programming so spindle speeds must agree on both turrets and be called out in unison with P codes or it’s alarm city.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by okuma1984 View Post
    What do you guys recommend or what do you use for pogromming a Two turret okuma? mine is a 1999 (OSP100) I have been trying to find a piece of software that's both affordable and easy to learn is there anything out there?
    You can use igf for pc for part programming.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

hy kurmay, far as i know, that's trial, and it doesn't output the min file

do you have actually a non trial version, that also outputs for osp300 ? kindly

sometimes i use igf for pc (p200 or p300), but i need to edit the output to work correctly

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

what can you do with the lower turret?
    hy pls find attached doc

goal is to keep both turrets & spindles as busy as possible, with low waiting times, and balanced machining for each pair; otherwise, it may be better to have 2 separate simple lathes

Assist with the Lower for things like grooving while roughing,etc..
    hy mr wizard, i was curious about one thing : is it possible to pinch groove ? more like a pinch cuttof, thus both cutting inserts are aligned, only that one is a bit more towards X0, like with 1/2 feed per revo or something / kindly

is it possible to pinch groove ?
    sorry to interfere. Why not? Should be possible.

sorry to interfere. Why not? Should be possible
    hy bunny i don't know, so far i didn't had acces to a dual turret okuma lathe, so i can't test this

i mean is obvious that you can :
    ... cut a groove with both turrets, with tools being at different z and same x, but what about same z and different x ?
    ... turn od with both turrets, with tools being at different x and ( almost ) same z, but what about same x and different z ?

onestly, from time to time, i think about those / kindly

No restrictions on what can be done. Pinch groove, pinch thread, pinch turn, pinch face ( to a point), or completely independent such as turn OD while bore on ID, or groove OD while bore ID. You can be
    Even mount a steady in the lower turret and synchronized “follow” the upper turret.

Have fun!

hey OkumaWiz I couldn't PM you your mailbox is full but do you happen to have a manual for IGF one touch ? or a guide book even ?

i got the IGF one touch manual [late 90s] for anyone interested PM me. i'd be happy to help. not sure about the forum rules whether we can post here or not..