So, I'm in the process of acquiring a Wotan Rapid 1 CNC boring mill with a dead control. Roof leaked water on the cabinet holding the CNC control board and fried it. Machine electrical cabinet stayed dry. It's a 5 axis machine, as it has the standard X, Y, Z moves, plus a W axis for spindle extension (parallel to Z), plus B axis rotary table. My plan is to refit with LinuxCNC using MESA card(s). It uses old Allen Bradley brushed DC servo motors, with analog drives (0-10v signalling) and from what I can see, Heidenhan encoders. I havent moved the machine yet, but it's getting taken apart and moved in February.

This thread is going to be my build thread plus advice on this. I'm new to CNC in general, this will be my first CNC machine. But, I'm very good with mechanical stuff and electrical, and very well versed in Linux as I worked several years in a position maintaining linux servers.

What Mesa boards would be my best bet? I'm planning on using internal cards and not the ethernet ones as the pc I'm going to use has plenty of pci and pci Express slots.

Thanks in advance for any help. I've not found on the internet where someone has retro'd an HBM of this size with Linuxcnc, so if nothing else, I hope this thread will help someone in the future.

Google photos album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qvSGNdDSUBV871R8A

-Matt