584,826 active members*
5,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: PaperStone

PaperStone

I'm fairly new to cnc routing PaperStone. Currently using Vortex Tool #3135 (De Viper) "1/2 Compression bit. It cuts just fine however the PaperStone material is a very strong material and turns out is quite abrasive/hard on tooling. Cutting between 6-8 sheets before the bit becomes dull and needing replacement. Just curious what other peoples experience with PaperStone is and what they use for tooling? Thanks

Re: PaperStone

It's a solid material; ;why are you using a compression bit? That's usually used because you don't want to disrupt the veneers of plywood. An ordinary upcut bit would probably work fine in paperstone. You might try a diamond-coated bit if the abrasion factor is a big issue for you.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Well it is what the company I work for was using to the best of their knowledge before I was hired. I mean the compression bit leaves a clean cut edge. Paperstone in my limited experience with it so far I have noticed it can chip on the edges just a bit, so perhaps that is why they were using a compression bit idk. And yes we just ordered and tried a new (PCD) Diamond Coated Compression bit yesterday, seemed to work great but the key is how long will it last. Thank you for your input Andrew.

Let us know how much cutting you get out of that PCD-coated tool, and how much it cost versus the uncoated version - I know they stay sharp longer, but not if it's really worth the extra cost (if you don't value your time spent changing bits, anyway).
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I've only cut Paperstone once or twice in the past, but if cutting a lot of it, I'd try an Amana DRB-208 or similar.
    I use them when I need to cut a lot of abrasive materials, as they'll last 10x longer than carbide.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The PCD-200 tool only lasted 8 cuts before I started to see cut quality begin to diminish. Soon after I realized we were running that tool way too fast according to manufacturers feed rate recommendations. Gonna try a new bit, same one but at 140ipm, we were running 200-300.