585,715 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Great small compressor for Tormach Pneumatic Tool Changer and coolant sprayer

Great small compressor for Tormach Pneumatic Tool Changer and coolant sprayer

I wanted to share my experience with a very reasonably priced, small, QUIET (60 dBA) compressor I just bought from Harbor freight. I have an industrial 2 stage, 80 Gal. Ingersoll Rand compressor but the noise in my home shop is so loud! It makes me jump when it kicks on. Also I just don't need all that capacity to do tool changes and run my coolant air blaster, shown earlier on the forum. This small, 2 Gallon 135 PSI compressor is perfect and I can install it in my machine shop, near my 1100 PCNC. Other interesting thing is that it loads up to 150 PSI indicated on mine. Has a separate output gauge, so you can turn that down to the 120 PSI the Tormach pneumatic tool changer uses.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gall...sor-64596.html

If you are not into HF tools then take a pass but for $169 it cannot be beat.

Cismontguy

Re: Great small compressor for Tormach Pneumatic Tool Changer and coolant sprayer

Thanks for the info. I bought the one that's a size bigger and there's no doubt when it kicks on. Glad to hear the quiet one can run a draw bar and ATC. Might have to go on a shopping trip.

Re: Great small compressor for Tormach Pneumatic Tool Changer and coolant sprayer

I am really impressed and happy with this little, QUIET compressor. I am using right now on a job. I have it all wired and plumed into my Tormach system.
    I only hear it when it stop filling cause there is that standard air release of the pressure switch that you get with any compressor. Otherwise with the
    Tormach and my other machines running I never hear it. Wish I had found this a long time ago. Cismontguy.

That would be tempting as I have a large air compressor in my shop and it seems to be overkill to fill a 220v 175 psi/60gal compressor to run my fogger only when I'm milling....and quite??! Really tempting... Maybe next 20% off coupon I get, though as usual, they'll find a reason that unit doesn't apply.

It does seem as though the 20% coupons are becoming less and less useful of late. The list of excluded products and brands keeps getting longer and those same brands seem to represent more of the product line than ever. I suppose the fantasy of cheap, "good enough" tools had to end eventually.

The way I view it is that the "excluded" products are already 20% off every day. E g, the products that the coupon could work on, are normally sold at a 20% extra mark-up to try to capture some consumer surplus.

There is probably some truth to that.

California Air Tools compressors (what Tormach sells) can be found on eBay for dirt cheap. They sell open box, used, and display units for really discounted prices. I bought an 8 gallon one to run my ATC (not a Tormach) for like $160 shipped. I use it for shop air as well as the ATC, not that I need a lot of shop air, but it runs my ATC perfectly and is 60dbA as well. I hate loud compressors.