585,908 active members*
3,779 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Double ball nut cam loose - Desperate for help!

Unhappy Double ball nut cam loose - Desperate for help!

Hi All,

I have a double ball nut that decided to come apart on me when the Y axis over-jogged a bit. I'm not exactly happy about that, but anyway, I got all the pieces together and ready to be reassembled, including about 100 of the little balls.

Problem is, I cannot seem to figure out how in the heck to reload the ball nut. Can someone help. PLEASE!!!!

I'm extremely frusterated at this point.

Thanks,
    Wade

Search IS your friend! Just 2 words(reload ballnut) in google came up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPOhAjmPADM

hope its helpfull, good luck

I was searching all night. Unfortunately, I was searching for "ball nut reload" instead of "ballnut reload". I was putting a space in.

That video was interesting and very helpful, but is a very different type of ball nut that I have. Mine is a double-nut with no return tube.

I'll keep searching, but if anyone else finds or knows of anything, please let me know.

Thanks!

Wade

I've never loaded a ballnut without return tubes but somebody put it together the first time

I think it might be possible to load the balls from inside and retain them with a light grease while doing so. The trick would be to have a dummy mandrel to slide inside the completely loaded nut. Otherwise, as soon as you begin to screw the ballscrew inside, the entire string of balls wants to begin to push against one another as they begin to roll. The dummy mandrel will keep the balls well enough engaged in the nut grooves that they will be able to circulate normally.

All you need for a dummy mandrel is a wooden dowel or a carboard or plastic tube that is a reasonably close fit inside the minor diameter of the balls.

Three hands would also be helpful One guy keeping the dummy seated firmly against the end of the ballscrew while the other guy holds the nut and screws the ballscrew in.

Have a cassette tape of cursing and swearing running in the background
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)