584,860 active members*
5,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Cookie frosting 4th axis

Cookie frosting 4th axis

I've got my regular 3axis CNC router working and I'm daydreaming here...

My sister makes cookies for a living and I've been watching her decorate cookies in 1-200 count batches and noticed something- she's doing a repetitive process with identical tool paths & patterns using a frosting with a consistent viscosity out of the same size nozzle...

I'm gonna give it a try. I think the best way is to put a peristaltic pump on a stepper motor and put a tube with a nozzle on a stick that I can Chuck into the spindle.

Where do I look to make a tool path that'll correspond an x y z tool path to spin that fourth axis? I can do the simple 2d trace and contour toolpaths in Fusion, but how would I add the toolpath for this pump axis?
    Thanks!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Re: Cookie frosting 4th axis

I don't think you need a 4th axis to run the pump motor. It's not an axis, and it doesn't need a stepper, it just needs to go on and off at the right times. Use a regular motor and the spindle on-off function instead, and trigger it with M3/M5 commands through a relay.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

This discussion reminds me of an old Mad magazine how to. How to make a knife from a screw driver. How to make a screw driver from a cold chisel. How to make a cold chisel from a knife. A classic case of missing the forrest for the trees. Forget the CNC business. Buy a fractional HP universal motor driven gear motor tied to a speed control on/off switch with a mounted face plate. And get busy frosting those cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I don't think you need a 4th axis to run the pump motor. It's not an axis, and it doesn't need a stepper, it just needs to go on and off at the right times. Use a regular motor and the spindle on-off function instead, and trigger it with M3/M5 commands through a relay.
    I was thinking about that, but I don't think the on off control would be as controlled as I want. As in I could probably find a pump that would work but I'd have no control over speed and portion...

Now I feel dumb, I realized Im talking about an extruder. I'm making a 3d printer attachment... That should be simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by MARV View Post
    This discussion reminds me of an old Mad magazine how to. How to make a knife from a screw driver. How to make a screw driver from a cold chisel. How to make a cold chisel from a knife. A classic case of missing the forrest for the trees. Forget the CNC business. Buy a fractional HP universal motor driven gear motor tied to a speed control on/off switch with a mounted face plate. And get busy frosting those cookies!
    Ok I can do that, but how would I control it via g code?

I realized my end goal here is to make an extruder, so I'd need a stepper but I can probably make the g code in fusion 360 I think. My issue is with Mach4 - I haven't seen anyone run a 3D printer using Mach 4 yet...

Still not clear to me just what you're trying to accomplish with the extruder, but regarding Mach4 and 3D printers; I'll be interested in reading what you come up with.

The design would be exactly where you want the frosting laid out. That’s a vector file with lines and curves. The machine would be normal X-Y with a modified Z.
    The Z axis would need to go down to the cookie top and then the pump comes on. Then pump off and pop back up.
    So the design would be a series of moves at the same depth with this clearance move between passes.
    The on off of the pump is not easily done thru the CAM program so I would control it by the Z axis motion. The faster it starts and stops the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is beginning to sound like those devices that apply a bead of adhesive or calk such as in engine assembly. I presume there is software that would accomplish this? On/off, move along vectors on a 3D surface, etc. An interesting variation would be to change the amount/width of bead as the design dictates. With multiple extruders, you could also change colors!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV View Post
    This discussion reminds me of an old Mad magazine how to. How to make a whetstones for sharpening Japanese knives (https://toolsofchef.com/best-whetsto...panese-knives/) from a screw driver. How to make a screw driver from a cold chisel. How to make a cold chisel from a knife. A classic case of missing the forest for the trees. Forget the CNC business. Buy a fractional HP universal motor driven gear motor tied to a speed control on/off switch with a mounted face plate. And get busy frosting those cookies!
    haha exactly i was thinking the same