584,808 active members*
5,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Cloned hard drives

G'day all,
    Looks like the hard drive on my Multiplex 6100y Has decided to die. Does anyone know if anyone does cloned hard drives or is it a case of getting reamed with a pineapple by Mazak.

Thanks Bob

Forgot. Fusion 640 control
    Regards Bob

Re: Cloned hard drives

I don't know much about this system, but I've done my fair share of data recovery and disk imaging.

Is it a standard PC style hard drive interface? I've managed some pretty crazy repairs on drives too.

Cloning hard drives is pretty easy, I say this without knowing your situation , and I can walk you through it in a bunch of different ways using Windows, MAC or Linux. Honestly Linux is probably the easiest using Clonezilla or ddrescue, but there are gotchas with each of the methods.

Do you have pictures of the drive and or interface? A quick search on googles didn't help me much.

Quote Originally Posted by mogwopjr View Post
    I don't know much about this system, but I've done my fair share of data recovery and disk imaging.

Is it a standard PC style hard drive interface? I've managed some pretty crazy repairs on drives too.

Cloning hard drives is pretty easy, I say this without knowing your situation , and I can walk you through it in a bunch of different ways using Windows, MAC or Linux. Honestly Linux is probably the easiest using Clonezilla or ddrescue, but there are gotchas with each of the methods.

Do you have pictures of the drive and or interface? A quick search on googles didn't help me much.
    It is a standard laptop style hard drive which runs on a stripped down version of windows 95 but the Mazatrol operating software is Mazak propriety and as far as i know is their own format. I have plugged the hard drive into a PC but doesn't even know it's there. Not sure if a good one would be the same but i would have thought it would at least be recognised
    Regards Bob

Is it SATA or PATA?

Does the PC BIOS detect it?

If it's a laptop size, it should be detected by a PC if the logic board is good but throw errors or lock up the system if the spindles or heads are bad. If the PC freezes when trying to initialize the drive that can mean platter issues too.

Do you have the make, model, serial number and date of manufacture of the drive? Or can you get a picture of it?

It's a Toshiba hard drive.
    MK1016GAP T.
    SN: 33450475T 1M9 EC.A
    There is another number in a rectangular box with a couple of japanese symbols plus the number3892A922
    It is a 44 pin with 4 other pins spaced away from the main plug
    Regards Bob

Wish you were closer! I have a MK2018GAP (20Gig) that we could try and get working for you.

I would not try and connect it to a PC without taking some precautions, if you're trying to recover the drive it might make things worse.

I'm not sure about your depth of experience with drives of this sort so I might ask a lot of questions if that's ok?

First, how did you try and connect it to a PC? With that type of drive it takes a different connector that has power and data (PATA) that is all contained in the 44pin array. I have a special adapter that will take the 44pin data and power and I can plug it into USB or Firewire for basic testing. I wouldn't recommend doing this with a Windows machine though. Windows likes to "fix" things and it can make it worse.

Do you have an old laptop from the early 2000's or late 1990's that you could try the drive in?

I also should ask if you want to go down the path of imaging the disk you have, or trying to do it and fixing the one you have?

I kind of instinctively went down that road since I do data recovery on the side. I just realized this is kind of off topic so I want to make sure I'm helping and not muddying the waters here

I have cloned a couple of hard drives, usually from SATA disk to SSD or back, but to stand a chance you do need to have the disk visible to PC.
    I have attached the disk via USB cable with appropriate connector to disk, which may be USB powered or mains powered.
    I used AOMEI recovery & clone software
    I have also used ActiveRecovery software from LSoft which did see a disk that was unavailable to my PC (Dont know how it did that, but it did)
    Good luck

I can toss this out here too,

If someone wants to image a drive from one of these machines, I can give instructions on how to do it safely or if someone could get me one of the drives, I can image it and make it into a portable format for others.

I certainly don't want to tread on any copyright or proprietary toes here, so If i'm out of line let me know. Also if someone needs help with data recovery I can help with it too.

These older 44 pin PATA drives can pose some challenges but I can definitely walk someone through the process if they have an older laptop with a CDRom we should be able to get it imaged (provided the disk is usable but has issues of course)

The biggest thing with data recovery in the case of a disk that isn't immediately readable is to make sure that the data that is there is not modified or changed in any way by the host operating system (cough) Windows (cough) or by any other utilities before a good image is taken.

Wish you were closer! I have a MK2018GAP (20Gig) that we could try and get working for you.

I would not try and connect it to a PC without taking some precautions, if you're trying to recover the drive it might make things worse.

I'm not sure about your depth of experience with drives of this sort so I might ask a lot of questions if that's ok?

First, how did you try and connect it to a PC? With that type of drive it takes a different connector that has power and data (PATA) that is all contained in the 44pin array. I have a special adapter that will take the 44pin data and power and I can plug it into USB or Firewire for basic testing. I wouldn't recommend doing this with a Windows machine though. Windows likes to "fix" things and it can make it worse.

Do you have an old laptop from the early 2000's or late 1990's that you could try the drive in?
    Sorry for the slow reply. I went away for a couple of days. I used a USB to SATA/IDE adaptors but it didn't even register that it was connected. I have an old laptop so i will have a look and see what hard drive is in that and see what happens. Thanks for your input.
    Regards Bob

Just use the laptop to see if the drive will be detected. I would NOT recommend trying to boot the disk up if you're concerned about preserving the data on the drive.

Just use the laptop to see if the drive will be detected. I would NOT recommend trying to boot the disk up if you're concerned about preserving the data on the drive.
    Well the old laptop I have happens to have a very similar same brand and memory size hard drive. Fitted the faulty one and nothing. It doesn't run at all. Might have to find someone that can recover the data from a dead drive. I did think about swapping the platters but I don't want to risk destroying any data just in case it is recoverable
    Regards Bob

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy View Post
    Well the old laptop I have happens to have a very similar same brand and memory size hard drive. Fitted the faulty one and nothing. It doesn't run at all. Might have to find someone that can recover the data from a dead drive. I did think about swapping the platters but I don't want to risk destroying any data just in case it is recoverable
    aaaw bummer. Sorry to hear that. The absolute best in data recovery that I've run across is a person in Canada. I don't know how quickly you need it up and running but if you want his info let me know. He does quite a bit of data recovery for folks all around the world. If you're looking for someone local, he might also be able to recommend someone.

I'm not sure if I can post the info or link here directly. Let me know if that would be helpful.

And good call on not platter swapping. If you've never done a platter swap before, they can be pretty tricky especially on the 2.5 inch notebook drives.It is also very easy to render the read/write heads useless on both drives if certain precautions aren't taken.

If you also have a drive that is the same Make/Model/Size and with a close enough serial number - which ever data recovery house you look into might be able to use it as a donor.

i could provide you an image out of my mp 6200y.
    i had sucess copying it on a cf to ide adapter with a 8gb cf card.

Quote Originally Posted by moog93 View Post
    i could provide you an image out of my mp 6200y.
    i had sucess copying it on a cf to ide adapter with a 8gb cf card.
    That would be great if it would work. I will have to find out what if any differences there would be in the actual software. I know parameters etc would be different. What control and year is your machine?
    Regards Bob

1998 with fusion 640t

I will see if i can find out the software number. Mine is a 2003 Fusion 640t
    Regards Bob

the software number isnt important.
    i got an integrex 200sy from 2002 and it was possible to use the harddisk in the multiplex 6200y too.

only the bios version of the control is important.
    my mp6200y is version pc04a.
    my ig200sy is version pc10a.

the pc04a only supports harddisks up to 8gb.
    the pc10a supports harddisks up to 20gb+

Ok i will see if i can find that. Thanks for the help mate
    Regards Bob

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy View Post
    Ok i will see if i can find that. Thanks for the help mate
    you got a PM

Page 1 of 2 12