584,829 active members*
5,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Newer computer for a series 3 1100

Dell has a nice small computer that will run linux and has an SSD drive but doesnt have a parallel port or a computer card slot for my mensa board.

EPC is my go to computer store and they have older business computers with ssd drives in them but none have printer ports...

Can I use one of these with some type of an adapter for a series 3 1100??

the old one still works but I would like a new smaller computer with an ssd drive to hopefully boot up faster, this one is 9 years old and I am thinking it may quit at some point.

any insight or opinions very welcome!
    mike sr

Re: Newer computer for a series 3 1100

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Dell has a nice small computer that will run linux and has an SSD drive but doesnt have a parallel port or a computer card slot for my mensa board.

EPC is my go to computer store and they have older business computers with ssd drives in them but none have printer ports...

Can I use one of these with some type of an adapter for a series 3 1100??

the old one still works but I would like a new smaller computer with an ssd drive to hopefully boot up faster, this one is 9 years old and I am thinking it may quit at some point.

any insight or opinions very welcome!
    Hi Mike
    First of all you don't need a parallel port to run PathPilot. The machine connects only to the Mesa card connector, which looks and behaves like a parallel port (just better ).

The latest versions of Linux will run on almost all PC hardware but the version provided by PathPilot is NOT a recent version. It may well not recognize one or more hardware components on a new machine. There were some recent discussions on here about this issue. If I were you I'd take a used machine from your usual store (if possible with the option to return it) and see if PP will run on it. You could still use your existing Mesa card (check the interface type of the card: PCI or PCIE) and the machine would cost just maybe $50-$100. If you find one that works well you could also consider buying a second as a spare!
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Hi Mike
    First of all you don't need a parallel port to run PathPilot. The machine connects only to the Mesa card connector, which looks and behaves like a parallel port (just better ).

The latest versions of Linux will run on almost all PC hardware but the version provided by PathPilot is NOT a recent version. It may well not recognize one or more hardware components on a new machine. There were some recent discussions on here about this issue. If I were you I'd take a used machine from your usual store (if possible with the option to return it) and see if PP will run on it. You could still use your existing Mesa card (check the interface type of the card: PCI or PCIE) and the machine would cost just maybe $50-$100. If you find one that works well you could also consider buying a second as a spare!
    Step
    The small DELL computers I looked at were business lease types, so they are not new but do have ssd drives, my main concern is an adapter from the usb output to the Tormach if that is possible, cost is about 250-350 usd. so cheap enough if it will work ok.
    mike sr

The small DELL computers I looked at were business lease types, so they are not new but do have ssd drives, my main concern is an adapter from the usb output to the Tormach if that is possible, cost is about 250-350 usd. so cheap enough if it will work ok.
    Hi Mike
    The Tormach won't run directly from a USB interface, at least not the machine itself. You would need to connect a different Mesa card (7i92, for use outside the PC) to a network port on the Dell.
    I wrongly assumed you were referring to a new Dell machine. A lease type is less likely to fail but obviously I can't say from here whether PP will run on any specific computer. It would be great if you had the option to return it, even if you had to pay a nominal restocking fee.
    Step

In my opinion paying "about 250-350 usd" for an off-lease Dell is exorbitant. You should be able to find a suitable machine for somewhere between free and $100. A SSD is $23 from Amazon and you may need to spend an additional $9.99 for a mounting kit. If you get a free machine try to install PP and if successful replace the hard disk with an SSD. As Step noted you will either need a machine with a PCI/PCI-e slot that matches your Mesa card or purchase a Mesa 7i92 and connect it via the ethernet port.

Thanks Ken and Turbo for the information.

I am not too sharp on the computer things these days, I will order a 7i92 and have it on hand. I was wondering how the 1100 would interface to the computer, I assume thru the parallel cable to the 7i92 and a network cable of some sort to the computer??
    mike sr

The biggest challenge with the 7i92 is that it prefers to be on the only ethernet port in the machine. Sadly Linux is incapable of assigning a specific interface name to a specific board (PP wants to connect to a 7i92 only on eth0). Eth0 in my case is the plugin second board which does not support some of the preferred features for LinuxCNC. I have a wireless dongle on my get-real-soon-list so that eth0 will always be the built in one.

To summarize, use only 1 ethernet port on the computer, for internet connectivity use a wireless connection.

My experience on a older off-lease HP SFF with the 7i92 is stellar. There is an occasional hm2mot error but it recovers each time.

gerrit

You need a dedicated Ethernet link between your control computer and the 7i92 (a few feet of Cat5). If you also want a link to your local network or the web you will need two ethernet cards (or a dual port card such as I use) or a USB WiFi dongle.

Yes, I know about the dedicated part which is why I have 2 ports. The issue with Linux is that you can't lock an interface to a card. In my case the onboard port becomes eth1, the add-in is eth0. The add-in does not support coalesce. Not sure if that is the source of my occasional hm2mot errors or not. I will know once I get a wireless dongle, which no doubt will have its own issues with linux :-) PathPilot gets very unhappy if I swap the ports, and results in no 7i92 or web connection.

Gerrit

Do you mean interrupt coalescing or something else?

that's the one. My onboard ethernet supports it but is always eth1 :-(

I ordered a 7i92 interface card,
    I am looking at a sandisk ssd drive, any thoughts from computer guys on this or what brand and adapter do I need for the old tormach computer.

thanks for any and all input!
    mike sr

I'm partial to Samsung EVO ssd's as well as Crucial. I'm sure Sandisk is good as well. One of the easiest and best upgrades to improve an older machine.

Gerrit

It depends on what old Tormach machine you have. Assuming that it currently uses a 3.5 inch drive you need a bracket to mount a 2.5 inch SSD. It is just a bent piece of thin sheet steel so there is little difference between them Search Amazon for "SSD mount" and choose something for $5-10. You may need a replacement cable such as is included in the $9.99 SABRENT adapter. Any of the name brand 120GB SSDs such as those mentioned by gerritv should be fine. I currently have both 120GB and 240GB Crucial BX500 drives in use without problems in a pair of PP machines. Unless you want to store a great number of gcode files on your controller a 120GB drive is more than ample.

samsung 860 ordered from ebay 46 dollars and change delivered.

I am more interested in bootup speed, the one I have takes forever it seems.

I still need to look for a computer at a more reasonable price.
    This should speed up my old one while I work on a newer one, always good to have a spare Murphys law you know ha!
    mike sr

For future reference, I have one or two used 120gb ssd's kicking around. Mostly intel's but a few others. These were the primary drives of several POS type machines in my facility that had been built back when SSD's were still outrageously expensive. All of those machines have since been replaced or upgraded with larger drives. Anyone who's interested, send me your address and a couple bucks to cover the ups costs and I'll happily send out what I have until they're gone. I will never use a drive of that size for anything and electronics recycling in my area is a long way from easy to access.

At EPC the have some Dell 7010 with an ssd and 10 usb ports intel 3.1 processor 4 gig of ram for 107 to 134 dollars.

any views of this appreciated as far as reliability etc.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    For future reference, I have one or two used 120gb ssd's kicking around. Mostly intel's but a few others. These were the primary drives of several POS type machines in my facility that had been built back when SSD's were still outrageously expensive. All of those machines have since been replaced or upgraded with larger drives. Anyone who's interested, send me your address and a couple bucks to cover the ups costs and I'll happily send out what I have until they're gone. I will never use a drive of that size for anything and electronics recycling in my area is a long way from easy to access.
    Wish I had known yesterday! What I have works fine its just so slow on bootup, I like to modify PP and it just seems it takes forever to reboot..
    mike sr

Wish I had known yesterday! What I have works fine its just so slow on bootup, I like to modify PP and it just seems it takes forever to reboot..
    Hi Mike
    Check your PMs
    Step

New brix puters sold as new PP controls are also very slow to boot and have some lag I have noticed.
    They are fan less so they are kind of dustless.

Page 1 of 3 123