584,837 active members*
5,251 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Router project ElCheapo 4x4

Hi guys, this is my first "larger" CNC project.
    First, i am sorry for my bad english...but mostly i dont care
    Initial plan was to buy Shapeoko, but when i have seen prices i figured thats too much so i decided to make my own design.
    i dont expect much, just to cut some boards and have some fun
    So i opened couple of Croatian beers and few hours later i mocked up this:
    So basically i sourced parts on ebay and lets start...
    Today was day one of physical build, so i started with simple motor carriages:
    -you will notice i am missing bolts and holes etc...i like to live a dangerous life
    and the real deal...
    i just cleaned parts a bit with grinder, removed microjoints from laser cutting and welded parts together:

IMG-20210209-174435
    IMG-20210209-180006
    IMG-20210209-180823
    then i fast grinded welds so noone can see how awful my welds are
    IMG-20210209-183410

i think next on my list is Z carriage. i am not shure but we will see. Stay tuned.

Re: CNC Router project ElCheapo 4x4

I love the spirit of this build!
    And your English is great. Don't worry about it. And I love that you're just digging in and not being too precious about everything.
    The one design comment is the high lever-arm you have on that tall z. If you don't need to be cutting tall things, you might consider tightening that up.

Oh and 4 foot ballscrews are long enough where they can "whip" if you spin them too fast so you may have to keep the travel speeds down a bit to avoid that, especially since your screws won't be super high precision. But it's just something to plan for... Not a real problem if you know about it.

excited to see this progress!

-jesse

Hi Woo - CNC with Beer sounds like fun. This bit will need stiffening. The drive will be able to push more then 100kgf so this will bend quite easily.... Have fun Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drive.JPG  

I like the stepper bracket that allows easy access to the coupling.I agree with peteeng about the need for more stiffness and wonder about the possibility of those box sections lozenging.Whenever somebody describes a machine with a lot of Z axis travel I hae to ask whether they have taken onto account the limitations imposed by the spindle body and backplate when trying to machine at low level on a large project.

Attachment 458382

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I like the stepper bracket that allows easy access to the coupling.I agree with peteeng about the need for more stiffness and wonder about the possibility of those box sections lozenging.Whenever somebody describes a machine with a lot of Z axis travel I hae to ask whether they have taken onto account the limitations imposed by the spindle body and backplate when trying to machine at low level on a large project.

Attachment 458382
    Hi guys,thanks for your feedback!
    I am aware there will be some problems,i hope i can solve everYthing during first test assembly/before painting.
    Its very hard to see from pictures but whole thing is made from 8mm steel and i plan to cut only wood,so i guess it will be fine. We will see when this thing starts. Z axis is only 250mm,on cad is little lower than it should be. We will suffer together

Today's update!
    3D printed aligning device for positioning Z axis linear guides.
    IMG-20210209-233224-1
    Main idea is to put them in place, glue them with double sided tape and drill holes thru them.
    IMG-20210210-160415

IMG-20210210-160419

ofcourse i forgot to buy 4.2 drill bit so i put that to side for tomorrow maybe.
    next i cleaned parts for XZ carriage and welded this thing.

IMG-20210210-162359

IMG-20210210-164041
    90 degrees (it doesnt matter tho, design have big stupidity error counted in...)
    it waz also cold in workshop so thats it for today.

I checked Z axis and i think you were right, that waz too much in lower position.
    simple solution will be, i will weld bed higher and limit it in software.
    its not big deal if i cant use whole rails on Z axis-i bought whole set in bundle and thats what i got. there is no need for so much Z axis
    till tomorrow!

so today i decided im gonna start building frame.
    i ordered steel precutted from local store, and ofc they cutted it like this:

nevermind, i arranged first pieces and started welding

thats it for today. i will try do every day atleast something.

Thats the approach that pushes the job ahead.No matter how little you do each day it adds up over a couple of weeks

Looks great. I love the cut steel parts. Must be nice to have access to a laser cutter that capable.