584,837 active members*
5,879 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Argus 1290 Laser Engraver setup puzzle- Peter

Hi All - I have picked up an Argus laser and it has no documentation. Does anyone have manuals for an Argus SCU1290 80W laser???? It has vector draw parrot software and currently has a 3 beep noise when turned on. I imagine its an alarm. The chiller works. I have a scrap of paper that explains the buttons sort of and that's about it... So set up instructions and operating info would be excellent. Regards Peter

Re: Argus 1290 Laser Engraver setup puzzle- Peter

Hi All - I have sorted a couple of errors but the chiller thermostat seems to be dead (Error 5) I'm going to try to dry it and reseal the end while I talk to the manufacturer for a spare. CW-5000 S&A brand ... I'm trying to fill the laser tube with water as first step.. Plus I need to make the control cable from the chiller to the machine. I linked it out to fix some errors but will remove link when I get a cable.... Peter

Hi All & Sundry - I have water in the tube and flipped the thermostats and the compressor works Yeh!! There's a small rust hole on the bottom of the water temp thermostat so I'm drying it out in my vacuum chamber, then will double seal with epoxy then silicon tape... So onward to getting the laser lit. Peter

3 beeps is no water flow by the way... a screwdriver across the plug fixed that!

Hi All - Today a got out my vacuum chamber and cleaned it up. Put the thermostat in it and this afternoon will pull it out. A digital absolute vac guage is very useful. One image shows the temp water boils at ambient which today is 99.8C then I've pulled the chamber down to 938Pa at which water boils at 6.1degsC as ambient today is 26deg its flashing off and drying out very nicely.... In a couple of hours I'll epoxy the end up... Peter

The laser has a 3 pin microphone plug and the chiller has a 2 pin plug. I can get 2 pins and 4 pins easy can't find a 3 pin yet... found a wiring diagram for the control cable... next thing is to get the laser ON. Hopefully the tube is good..

If it's been in storage for 2 years the tube may also just be dead.

Glass CO2 tubes have a short life even when not used. Something I found out after building one... Ended up giving up and pulling it apart as length between use meant it was $$$$ to maintain as tubes die with use or sitting around.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Hi Pippin - Yes That's a definite possibility. I now have water flow through the tube so I can move onto getting the laser turned on (or not) the tube was manufactured in 2010 so its old.. Peter

I've just resealed thermostat but realised I can test before I seal to save the epoxy!! if its cactus... will do that tomorrow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thermostat 1.jpg  

Morning All - I tested the thermostat this morning and it checked out normal!! Yeh! so have given it a second coat of epoxy, yellow this time. Then I reinstate it in the tank.... Now onto the laser side of things. Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chiller.jpg   coating.jpg   yellow.jpg  

Hi All - Have figured out a couple of things and turned on the laser and it works!! This is good smoke!! Now to get it to move! Peter

Hi Peter, If you need any assistance with this please do get in touch and we would be more than happy to help you if we can.

Hello Jake - Thanks for the offer. I'm looking for any documentation on the operation of the machine. I have sorted out a few errors, the tube works. Now trying to get the X&Y to work. No lights on in the stepper drives and its has a "homing error". So some sort of start up procedure checklist would be great. I presume on start up the firmware takes the machine to home. This does not happen. Regards Peter

Hi All - Here's is the start up sequence. The laser does not move and there are no lights on at the drivers. The Z axis goes up and down... but that's not driven by steppers, simple DC drive I think. The X and Y are being sent home but I expect there's a time out signal so it goes to error when things don't get home.... I'll have to start tracing electronics soon... The head is not jammed it can be pushed around with no power on...

Peter

Hi All - More thinking and playing has revealed more Argus secrets. The "scan" button is the enable/disable button. So when powering up push "scan" and it goes to zero then you can drive it manually. So it now moves around under firmware. Good news. Now to get it talking in Gcode.... Peter

Hi Peter,

This old control system from 2010 has been obsolete for a long time, but I am glad to see the equipment moving.
    If you need assistance with this device, and manual book for this system, please contact us directly.

Thanks&warm regards
    Eric
    Contact: Eric Cai E-mail: [email protected] Skype: sely.sunic Web: www.arguslaser.net

Hi Eric- Any documentation is appreciated. Currently have mixture of stuff. Regards Peter

Hi Peter, pls send me the e-mail: [email protected] will send you the file
    Contact: Eric Cai E-mail: [email protected] Skype: sely.sunic Web: www.arguslaser.net