585,962 active members*
4,141 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Missing Roland MDX-500 key connector

Heya there,

We just got a Roland MDX-500 but somewhere in the move we lost the "key connector" that plugs into the "ext.1" port. Without this gizmo the whole thing just won't run. Does anyone have a working MDX-500 with a key connector that we could try and reverse engineer? I've gone the normal route by starting with Roland DGA, and through service centers, and I've been able to get the schematics for the machine but nothing for the key. The keys are NLA everywhere except for a sketchy site on the other side of the planet.

We're willing to pay a reasonable price to buy the key outright, not the $$$$ that the overseas company wanted (they don't even have the part and would have to "order" it?). I'm also looking to reverse engineer it in case others have lost theirs and need the help.

I'd rather not do a full rebuild on the machine as it's great for what it is, but we've quickly run out of options.

To be clear, per Roland DGA (USA and Asia) they do not support this product any more, they don't have parts anymore, and they are not able to provide information to the authorized service folks to build the key either. With this all said, I don't think we're going into any grey areas and stepping on anyone's toes by trying to build a new one of these "key connector" dongle things.

I'm open to all forms of comm on this one, if someone wants to talk directly hit me up in DM's

Thanks for looking

Re: Missing Roland MDX-500 key connector

SOLVED!

I would like to close this loop - Thanks to Nick on the facebook "Roland MDX500 / MDX650 / MDX540 Owners Group" for this information.

Shorting pins in the image got the system back up and running again.

Attachment 458570

a word of warning! DO NOT SHORT RANDOM PINS ON THAT CONNECTOR! Doing so could destroy the main board. Exercise caution if you do this and perform it at your own risk.