585,753 active members*
4,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese 2.2kW spindle, 6A setting on VFD?

Chinese 2.2kW spindle, 6A setting on VFD?

So I’m setting up my first VFD/spindle combo for a CNC router. Excited to see it spin for the first time.
    Spindle: Jianken 2.2kW constant torque water cooled, 220v, 24K RPM
    VFD: Hitachi WJ200-022SF, rated for single phase input and three phase output
    Spindle seems to be from a good manufacturer and looks really nice in person. Customer service was excellent so far. Happy to answer questions.

However, manufacturer recommends max current set to 6.0A on VFD. (B012 (Level of electronic thermal) on the Hitachi). As I understand it, a spindle this size should be more like 9 or 10. Maybe I’m wrong.
    Answer from manufacturer was this: “You are right that 6 amp is the rated current. For our spindle, power?volt*current. Instead, power=volt*current*?3.”
    [edit: looks like some of the symbols don't come through in the post. The first question mark should be "does not equal" symbol and the second question mark should be a symbol that looks like a square root]
    Do I really set to 6A, and, if not, how do I know what to safely set it too?

And, a quick second question…
    Manufacturer says spindle can run at any RPM no load, and to generally keep RPM 10K and above under load. However, also said that I can experiment below that under load and see if the torque is sufficient for the work. Anyone have recommendations? I will set VFD to sensorless vector and would like to try down to 3K RPM maybe. Will be routing all kinds of “standard” lumber/engineered wood, and also some very dense tropical woods and aluminum. Bearings are ceramic, apparently from U.S., if it matters.

Thanks for helping me get started on the CNC path safely.

Re: Chinese 2.2kW spindle, 6A setting on VFD?

Look at the spindle closely the frequency, speed, power, and current are normally printed right on the spindle. You have a good VFD and many 2.2kw units do have current around 9amps

Quote Originally Posted by mvall View Post
    So I’m setting up my first VFD/spindle combo for a CNC router. Excited to see it spin for the first time.
    Spindle: Jianken 2.2kW constant torque water cooled, 220v, 24K RPM
    VFD: Hitachi WJ200-022SF, rated for single phase input and three phase output
    Spindle seems to be from a good manufacturer and looks really nice in person. Customer service was excellent so far. Happy to answer questions.

However, manufacturer recommends max current set to 6.0A on VFD. (B012 (Level of electronic thermal) on the Hitachi). As I understand it, a spindle this size should be more like 9 or 10. Maybe I’m wrong.
    Answer from manufacturer was this: “You are right that 6 amp is the rated current. For our spindle, power?volt*current. Instead, power=volt*current*?3.”
    [edit: looks like some of the symbols don't come through in the post. The first question mark should be "does not equal" symbol and the second question mark should be a symbol that looks like a square root]
    Do I really set to 6A, and, if not, how do I know what to safely set it too?

And, a quick second question…
    Manufacturer says spindle can run at any RPM no load, and to generally keep RPM 10K and above under load. However, also said that I can experiment below that under load and see if the torque is sufficient for the work. Anyone have recommendations? I will set VFD to sensorless vector and would like to try down to 3K RPM maybe. Will be routing all kinds of “standard” lumber/engineered wood, and also some very dense tropical woods and aluminum. Bearings are ceramic, apparently from U.S., if it matters.

Thanks for helping me get started on the CNC path safely.
    They are playing game with you some of these spindle are not as good as others this is one of them, that is on the lower end of the spindles market 6A is a 1,5Kw spindle, none of these spindles can run below 6000RPM=100Hz so must be set correct so you can't damage the spindle, you saw the specs before you brought it. 8.5A to 10A is the norm for any of the better 2.2Kw spindles G-Penney being one of the better spindles in the lower price range, the ATC Jianken spindle is ok but the cheaper spindles are at the bottom of the list

The G-Penney can be run at 3000RPM they also have much more torque than any other spindle of the same size because of there larger Rotor
    Mactec54

Ok well thank you. Obviously disappointing to hear their kW ratings don't match up to reality but I suppose I have to live and learn on this one. Maybe a different manufacturer down the road. I must have seen some decent reviews on the ATC spindle then, and not the manual change ones. I'll give it a try at the settings you mentioned and see how it goes.

So something more along the lines of this G Penney then? It does have the 10A rating: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256...980580701%21sh

Ok well thank you. Obviously disappointing to hear their kW ratings don't match up to reality but I suppose I have to live and learn on this one. Maybe a different manufacturer down the road. I must have seen some decent reviews on the ATC spindle then, and not the manual change ones. I'll give it a try at the settings you mentioned and see how it goes.
    It may be just how they are showing the specs, for that spindle, they could be incorrect for the spindle, what I would do is in test it, slowly increase the amps up to a max of 9A and see how it runs it will overheat if the Amps are to high for it 40°c is around the max temperature or 104°F

Runing too slow will also overheat it, even with not load, so make sure the VFD Drive Parameters are set correct
    Mactec54

So something more along the lines of this G Penney then? It does have the 10A rating: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256...980580701%21sh
    Yes, this spindle with the ceramic Bearings option is a good spindle, there are some others using this same spindle also under a different name, this is one of the top low cost spindles
    Mactec54

Hey Mactec54. Thanks for taking the time out for this. It's appreciated. I'll test out the amps raising them a bit and seeing how the heat goes. And set minimum RPM. I don't think in general I'll have much need below 6,000 or high expectations below 8,000-10,000 anyway. If you do happen to peek back here - about how long would it take to overheat if it's .5A or 1A above what it's supposed to be? And is coolant temp a good way to monitor spindle temp in general?

Hey Mactec54. Thanks for taking the time out for this. It's appreciated. I'll test out the amps raising them a bit and seeing how the heat goes. And set minimum RPM. If you do happen to peek back here - about how long would it take to overheat if it's .5A or 1A above what it's supposed to be?
    I would not be too concerned with it as it has a 2.2Kw rating so 9A should not affect it at all, the readout on the VFD Drive will show around 3A at full load that will be 3A per phase so at 6A setting it will show 2A so not much difference going from 6A to 9A you may not see any difference in temperature even after a long run
    Mactec54

Ok thanks again for your input. I'll give it a shot with the requisite caution

Thanks for this thread. I bought a spindle and I'm pretty sure it's no good outa the box. It has 0.004" runout and 0.008" of axial play!
    I bought it as a kit on ebay with a HY VFD. Too far out from the return window for any support.

So I started looking for another spindle. So confused seeing so many 2.2kw at 6 amps?

After reading here, I see the GPenny and guess I'll go that route, it's rated at the full 10 amps.
    I'm also going to go air cooling as I may have some longer periods with no use.

Any 'can' radiators for 80mm spindles?

This is the spindle I'm looking at. I will be ordering it up in a couple weeks after I get back.
    CNC milling spindle motor kit 2.2kw air cooled spindle ER20 4 bearings 220v 24000rpm CNC spindle & 80mm aluminum holder bracket
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280...8daVPu8m1&mp=1
    My Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/113711-my_build_-_many_thanks.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mogal View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I bought a spindle and I'm pretty sure it's no good outa the box. It has 0.004" runout and 0.008" of axial play!
    I bought it as a kit on ebay with a HY VFD. Too far out from the return window for any support.

So I started looking for another spindle. So confused seeing so many 2.2kw at 6 amps?

After reading here, I see the GPenny and guess I'll go that route, it's rated at the full 10 amps.
    I'm also going to go air cooling as I may have some longer periods with no use.

Any 'can' radiators for 80mm spindles?

This is the spindle I'm looking at. I will be ordering it up in a couple weeks after I get back.
    CNC milling spindle motor kit 2.2kw air cooled spindle ER20 4 bearings 220v 24000rpm CNC spindle & 80mm aluminum holder bracket
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280...8daVPu8m1&mp=1
    They all have axial play this is how they are designed, you would not be able to run at 24,000 RPM if it did not have the axial play, when the cutter is cutting the loading is pushed up and this loads the front (2) Bearings

Some are better than others as to how strong the preload springs are, I have seen as much as .060" when you pull down on the spindle so .008" is good the runout seems excessive though, they can be reground, what type of indicator where you using??
    Mactec54