584,817 active members*
4,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree J325, Spindle Won't Start, Overloaded Error, Encoder Error on SD

Tree J325, Spindle Won't Start, Overloaded Error, Encoder Error on SD

I'm at a loss. I bought a J325 at a substantial premium because it was super clean and well set-up. Seemed like a great entry level machine for my new business. When I got it here, I got the spindle to run one single time, and then the spindle drive consistently gave me a -PG error (encoder signal) after about a 3 second pause whenever sending a start signal to the machine. (It's a Yaskawa 626MTIII). I hit cycle start, and a few seconds later, I get the big "CLUNK" and the controller shows "motor overloaded" fault, with spindle drive showing "-PG."

I saw the price Yaskawa wants to service these drives, and it was massively prohibitive. I pulled the base drive and found a blown F1. Replaced it, along with some leaky capacitors on the base drive board. Buttoned the machine back up, and still getting -PG. I know the encoder is doing *something*, because if I spin it by hand after sending the signal start command I get a "spindle not up to speed" error.

I'm at a loss at this point.

Re: Tree J325, Spindle Won't Start, Overloaded Error, Encoder Error on SD

The -pg error is pulse generator. It is missing some component of the spindle motor encoder signal. The blown fuse can happen for too many max power surges because of the lost encoder signal (it will pulse max power to accelerate, see no feedback then stop... then it repeats this over and over)

Quote Originally Posted by zpsbob View Post
    The -pg error is pulse generator. It is missing some component of the spindle motor encoder signal. The blown fuse can happen for too many max power surges because of the lost encoder signal (it will pulse max power to accelerate, see no feedback then stop... then it repeats this over and over)
    Bob, you're incredible. I got your email as well. What would you recommend I do for next steps?

Ideally, if you can get your hands on a scope that's the best way to check the encoder signal. Check the plug inside the electrical box on the spindle motor (power off of course) to verify it is making good contact. The encoder signal goes to plug CN3 on the spindle drive.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	encoder.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	456758

Thank you bob. Guessing I'll have to pull the spindle motor to get to that, I'll check the connections and report back.

I just pulled the motor, all the connections were good, checked between motor side and CN3. Any guidance as to next steps would be super appreciated. Really want to get the girl running again.