584,833 active members*
5,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > TB6600 driver and NEMA 17 just stalling, not moving

TB6600 driver and NEMA 17 just stalling, not moving

Hi friendly helpers

I'm new to motor control and I'm working with TB6600 and NEMA 17 using the wiring set up shown and I've tried both sets of arduino code shown too. So far I have the dip switches set to full step and putting out 4A, any less juice and I don't even hear sounds of work coming from the motor.

I'm putting in 12V to the TB6600 and using the same power supply to power the arduino too and I've thrown in a screenshot of the motor specs in case that helps

Advice is needed

Theo

Re: TB6600 driver and NEMA 17 just stalling, not moving

Hi,
    check the manual for the driver, it has an enable input (EN+ and EN-) and I suspect you'll have to wire the enable 'ON'.

12V is too low to expect the stepper to work properly, the driver is rated to 42V, so use 42V or close (36V) to it, otherwise even once you get
    the stepper working it will miss steps and/or stall at low speeds.

Craig

If it is one of the counterfeit TB6600s that seem to be anywhere, that driver should work without Enable connected. If your driver has 1:32 microsteps, it is a not a real TB6600 and probably only can handle 2.8 A max. But that isn't your problem here. Turn down your Amps - way too high for a Nema 17.

Does the stepper motor do anything when you run your program? If it makes a short clunking sound and/or hums, then you probably have wired the stepper motor incorrectly. Verify that you have identified the wires for each set of coils. Use a DMM to verify continuity or do the shorted coil wire test. (short 2 of the 4 wires together - if the motor is hard(er) to turn by hand, they go to one coil.

Also, your comments don't agree with the code so verify that you have step on the pul+ pin and dir on the dir+ with pul- and dir- to gnd.

That motor should run on 12V - I have one sitting on my desk running off 12V right now. Don't expect a lot of power or speed out of it, though.

More about counterfeit TB6600 drivers here.

I tried to run a Nema 23 with an Arduino and it's motor code using a DM542 driver. Using a 50vdc power supply for the power. The Arduino board didn't seem to have the juice to put out anything more than 100rpm (guess).

After a while I gave up and bought a programmable controller.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boydage View Post
    I tried to run a Nema 23 with an Arduino and it's motor code using a DM542 driver. Using a 50vdc power supply for the power. The Arduino board didn't seem to have the juice to put out anything more than 100rpm (guess).

After a while I gave up and bought a programmable controller.

100 RPM seems way low. Assuming 8:1 microstepping, that works out to 1.3 kHz step rate. A plain old 8-bit Arduino running stock Grbl is capable of outputting a 30 kHz step rate. What software were you using? The actual RPM is dependent on a number of things like driver's microstep setting, acceleration profile, the stepper motors themselves.

Aw mate it was WAY low. I was using the IDE software to load the proprietary code to run a stepper. I am not an avid user of Arduino only using the boards when I need a cheap PLC option. And I know about 2% of Arduino or coding. So after a day like I say I gave up. Although that was after a friend saying Arduino is not the best for driving steppers. And it was a US$5 Chinese Arduino.

I just let this person know my experience

Sounds like it was a problem with the code, not the Arduino. They may be cheap but with a little effort you can make them do some pretty amazing things.

But, it looks like the original was just a drive by posting. Shoot while the car is in motion, never return. Sometimes I wonder why I bother.