584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > NVEM controller and VFD drive

NVEM controller and VFD drive

Hello all

I have a NVEM board and i am trying to hook it up to my VFD for spindle control.

I could not find anything in side the manual from the VFD. I am familiar with the NVEM setup, but the layout on the VFD is what I am not familiar with.

I was wondering if anyone else had that issue as I did not find any videos or info on it

Re: NVEM controller and VFD drive

What is the model of the VFD it looks like the PLC is settable for hi or lo logic. DI1 DI2 input etc..
    The BOB has lousy documentation and is not really clear on to I/O? They sort of imply it is settable for hi or lo logic with the word "programmable"
    You should be able to switch the VFD Start with a direct interface to one of the BOB outputs.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Im not to sure about the brand as it looks to be a knock off but here is the link where i bought it https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pic looks like Huanyang (see Logo) , but the manual does not?

Albert E.

Yeah the manual is not what i seen from others Huanyang manuals. I think theDI1 could be FWD and DI2REVS. But i am not sure abut the V1 or VOI

The manual should show the input assignments, is there any more explanation in the manual that jives with the actual VFD?
    I would contact the supplier if you can and get some clarification!
    Al

Albert E.

worst controller.. I am moved toward RosettaCNC controller...
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

The link seem not to work https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pm6ZD2vEz1s?wmode=opaqueI
    have it working on the NVEM V2 with a Huanyang 2.2Kw VFD 220V with aircooled spindle 3 phase 2,2Kw, ER25, 18000rpm

pinout/connections VFD as in the link (don' forget to set the jumper to VI)

Settings VFD

pd 1 and 2 to 1 for external terminal
    pd 3-4-5 to freq of spindle in my case 300Hz (spindles 24k rpm mostly operate at 400Hz)
    pd 8 to your voltage here 220V
    pd 14 10sec acceleration (changed from 20 sec)
    pd 44 1 Runpd 70 0 for signal 0-10Vpd 72 300Hz Spindle specs
    pd 141 220V Spindle specspd 142 10A Spindle specs
    pd 143 2pole Spindle specspd 144 18000 Spindle specs
    pd 14 Acceleration to 10sec it took 20sec to go to 18000rpm had to change in vfd to 10sec
    also possible to take the 20sec and change the timing inconfig/ports&pins/Spindle setup CW delay up to 20sec this to keep the timing
    in Gcode .

Mach3

Changed in config/motortuning/spindle to 18000rpm
    Also changed config/spindle pulleys to 24000rpm (don't ask why 24k instead of 18k)
    As my spindle may not run CCW (output 2 on NVEM not connected for CCW operation)
    be aware by first startup 3 phase spindles can run CW or CCW mine rotated CCW and made strange noise,
    had to interchange 2 phases (may random) to run CW.

Spindle can start with the button "spindel CW or F5" key F5 or command M3

Worked for me with a real Huanyang but many clones are on the net so it will be at your own risk.

Changes to make: VFD fan is not temperature switched and makes a hell of a noise will install a 45°C thermal switch to the heatsink.

Hope I helped a little.

I had my cnc queen bee pro for 2 weeks now, I started working on electronics and mach3 configuration around a week ago. I have NVUM v2 and these USB controllers having a lot of EMI problems, after working around the problems and I can finally say mine is working well.

if you're having problems where your motors missing steps or do crazy moves you're sure it's not in the gcode you have EMI problems. check your grounding and make sure you're using shielded cables and ground that shield as well, I installed few clip on ferret filters (not sure what they call it) also I have grounded the outer case of the spindle (cheap Chinese spindle) to the Z-axis metal base. I got improvement with every step I did but grounding the motor case to the frame was the last step before I was able to finish the spoilboard grid engraving (I kept getting problems some of them show few hundred lines down the gcode.

I repeated the file again after the last step and I finished the whole file without problems.

I have huanyan VFD, 2.2kw watercooled spindle and nvum v2 installed on queen bee pro 1515 frame