584,798 active members*
4,318 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Code for Empty Spindle

In an attempt to be a little more efficient I was trying to figure out without success how to end a program with an empty spindle collet open.

I'm not going to crazy with fixturing right now so my first step is to indicate the part in the vice and it would speed things up a little if when the previous operation was completed, the machine was waiting for me with the last tool stored and the Spindle open.

I am running a Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 PathPilot V2.4.3 .
    Thank you very much,
    Jim

Re: Code for Empty Spindle

I mean isn't that what tool zero is? It does have an offset of 0 which could be scary. Subscribed to see what you end up finding out...

You are 100% correct. I did not realize that changing to Tool Zero would empty the spindle. That is exactly what I wanted to do. I figured it would be something silly, that was really simple.

Thank you very much!
    Jim

I vaguely recall reading that leaving the spindle without a tool was bad for the R8 collet. Any thoughts?

Yes, I would agree with you if the collet is closed. In this case, the collet remains open without a tool, ready for me to insert the probe, and then close the collet by pressing the lock button.

The Powerdraw bar is normally closed, so if you were to turn the machine off the collet would then close without a tool.

When I am done for the day and I am getting ready to turn the machine off I throw an empty tool holder into the machine and that is how the machine stays stored.

Hope that clears it up,
    Jim