584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Replacing Yaskawa 626MTIII with something newer on Tree J325?

Replacing Yaskawa 626MTIII with something newer on Tree J325?

So I've got an old Tree J325, it worked a treat when I tested it, then once it was hooked up in my shop it seems the spindle gave up the ghost. I've been faffing about trying to get the spindle drive working, and it seems something is wrong with the encoder. Replacing Yaskawa parts is ludicrously expensive, so I'm thinking I'll likely be better off replacing the motor and drive entirely. (Here is my initial thread on the issue: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/tree/...ded-error.html)

Does anyone have any experience converting a spindle drive, who can provide some guidance? There's tons of retrofit threads on the J325, but those all seem to retain the old spindle drive. At this point I'd even accept running the axes with spindle inhibited, and using a manual speed control. Of course I'd rather integrate the new drive, but it seems most anything is better than a dead machine. I'd love some recommendations.

Re: Replacing Yaskawa 626MTIII with something newer on Tree J325?

Depending on the motor, you might be able to run it on a VFD. That's how I'm running my Fanuc spindle.

Indexing for a tool changer might be an issue.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Depending on the motor, you might be able to run it on a VFD. That's how I'm running my Fanuc spindle.

Indexing for a tool changer might be an issue.
    It's manual tool change with an air closer, so I'd just stop the spindle and change tools. I've seen a few Chinese 3.7kw motor and drive combos. Any idea how feasible it would be to rig one of these to the delta 20 motor control?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_

The spindle motor/drive looks fine, certainly cheap. But I know nothing about the Delta 20 system.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Just replace the existing VFD with a quality VFD and program the output for the needs of the Delta 20.

I'm gonna do some more tests on the motor, but my suspicion is that it's kaputski. A used Yaskawa motor runs like $1,500, and then I'd still be stuck with a 30+ year old crunchy base drive. The other advantage is if I go with a newer VFD, I could run the whole machine off single phase, which would be an advantage if I move it. (only the spindle drive requires 3 phase input). So any recommendations on a VFD and motor would be greatly appreciated.

I'm noticing that none of these spindle motors I'm finding are listing the flange bolt pattern and spindle diameter. Are square flange motor mounts fairly universal or am I going to wind up having to make a conversion mount and pulley?

It looks like the in/out on the controller are fairly simple, at least going by this diagram in the machine manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spindle drive connections.jpg  

The motor is about the last thing that I would expect to fail. More likely the encoder or the drive.

Just about any modern VFD would be fine as long as you get one rated for single phase input, you do want one that has sensorless vector mode to run a spindle. I personally like the VFDs from Automation Direct. But I have also had good luck with Huanyang VFDs available from both Amazon and eBay.

You haven't mentioned what the specs on the motor are, but that would be the driving factor in determining what VFD is required.

From the wiring diagram, it looks like pretty standard I/O, so should be no problem to interface with the Delta 20 control board. Most quality VFDs have all of those connections available. Don't worry about the encoder, you won't be using it.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    The motor is about the last thing that I would expect to fail. More likely the encoder or the drive.

Just about any modern VFD would be fine as long as you get one rated for single phase input, you do want one that has sensorless vector mode to run a spindle. I personally like the VFDs from Automation Direct. But I have also had good luck with Huanyang VFDs available from both Amazon and eBay.

You haven't mentioned what the specs on the motor are, but that would be the driving factor in determining what VFD is required.

From the wiring diagram, it looks like pretty standard I/O, so should be no problem to interface with the Delta 20 control board. Most quality VFDs have all of those connections available. Don't worry about the encoder, you won't be using it.
    Ah, I was referring to the motor/encoder as one unit, yeah I assume the encoder in it has given up the ghost. The motor is over 100lbs, a pretty beefy thing. I didn't realize I wouldn't need the encoder from the yaskawa motor to communicate with the new drive. That's good news.

As for present motor spec: it's a 5hp peak (2.2kw continuous, 3.7kw 15 minute); 11 amp continuous, 15 amp-15 minutes; 1500-8000RPM; 3 phase, 4 pole, 200v.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

There is a company in Chicago (Mudro Systems Inc), doing old Yaskawa drivers and motors repairs. Talk to them. May be they can help you.