584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question DYN 4 Power Supply

Good Afternoon All,

I have decided to utilize the DMM NEMA 34 and DYN 4 servo drives for my Bridgeport Series 1 Retrofit, These drives can be powered by either by 120V or 240V, from what I'm understanding the voltage effects the overall maximum RPM's, 3000 for 120V and up to 5000 RPM's for 240V. Currently the only available 240V that I have is for the 2.0 HP spindle in a high voltage cabinet on the back of the machine, the CNC cabinet, the one on the side of the machine only utilizes 120V. To utilize 240V, I will have to install another breaker in my box and upgrade all of my current contactors, will the cost out weigh the benefit? Since I have a series 1 Bridgeport, how much gain would I get from utilizing the 5000 RPM's? I normally don't run this machine at a very fast rate, no more than 200 ipm, I know that some recommend not running this type of machine any faster than 300 ipm.

What other benefits would I see by stepping up to the 240V?

Thanks,

Re: DYN 4 Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by seapacer2 View Post
    Good Afternoon All,

I have decided to utilize the DMM NEMA 34 and DYN 4 servo drives for my Bridgeport Series 1 Retrofit, These drives can be powered by either by 120V or 240V, from what I'm understanding the voltage effects the overall maximum RPM's, 3000 for 120V and up to 5000 RPM's for 240V. Currently the only available 240V that I have is for the 2.0 HP spindle in a high voltage cabinet on the back of the machine, the CNC cabinet, the one on the side of the machine only utilizes 120V. To utilize 240V, I will have to install another breaker in my box and upgrade all of my current contactors, will the cost out weigh the benefit? Since I have a series 1 Bridgeport, how much gain would I get from utilizing the 5000 RPM's? I normally don't run this machine at a very fast rate, no more than 200 ipm, I know that some recommend not running this type of machine any faster than 300 ipm.

What other benefits would I see by stepping up to the 240V?

Thanks,
    300 IPM is a good speed for these machines but I have had them run at 750 IPM they need to be bolted to the concrete floor though at that speed

Your speed if you can get the 3000 with the 120v will be more than enough for your Bridgeport I have one using the DMM Dyn2 48v drives, with the 750w motors and can just hit 300IPM that is with a 1:1 drive I have a video

Most use 2:1 drive so depending on your Ballscrew pitch this will determine the IPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAJaIowXwAY
    Mactec54

Hello All,

Since I will have multiple drives, can anybody recommend or suggest what they have utilized for their DMM servo drives? It looks like they are utilizing one (1) circuit breaker, one (1) main noise filter and one (1) magnetic contract for all three (3) drives, would it be better to utilize one (1) of each for each drive? Or is this an overkill?

- MCCB (Circuit Breaker)
    - NF2 (Main Noise Filter)
    - LR1 (AC Line reactor)
    - MC1 (Magnetic Contactor)
    - F1 (Logic Fuse)
    - NF1 (Logic noise Filter)

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by seapacer2 View Post
    Hello All,

Since I will have multiple drives, can anybody recommend or suggest what they have utilized for their DMM servo drives? It looks like they are utilizing one (1) circuit breaker, one (1) main noise filter and one (1) magnetic contract for all three (3) drives, would it be better to utilize one (1) of each for each drive? Or is this an overkill?

- MCCB (Circuit Breaker)
    - NF2 (Main Noise Filter)
    - LR1 (AC Line reactor)
    - MC1 (Magnetic Contactor)
    - F1 (Logic Fuse)
    - NF1 (Logic noise Filter)

Thanks,
    You can choose which ever way you want to do it, if just 1 component for 3 or 4 drives then it has to be sized correctly the mains line reactor Filter and MC1 and circuit Breaker can just be ( 1 ) unit for the logic should be for each unit
    Mactec54