584,812 active members*
5,459 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Does anyone have a Fanuc Data Server hard drive clone image??

Does anyone have a Fanuc Data Server hard drive clone image??

Hello,

I have a 1996 T10C Robodrill with a 16M Fanuc Controller of which I've installed a Fanuc data server (A16B-2202-0630) with an original 256mb Quantum Daytona IDE hard drive (A02B-0207-CD51) as well as a RISC board (A16B-3200-0150) and had the whole system running beautifully - doing surface machining at 300IPM, etc.

Well, the quantum disc hard drive failed to boot the other day and I've been experimenting with replacing it with IDE to CF adapters to try and run CompactFlash cards through the data server, IDE to SSD, IDE to Disk on Module units, etc to no success. The CF cards are small at 512 and 64mb and the SSD is probably too large at 16gb. I've partitioned it and such but when I turn on the machine with the IDE-to-SSD adapter, it wipes the SSD of the partitions I've placed on it to attempt to limit the 16gb to 810MB. The fact that the data server wipes the partition makes me think it has the ability to use such a setup but that Fanuc (in classic fashion) has a very specific structure on the original drives of which is the only thing the data server / control will recognize and accept.

Does anyone out there happen to (have prepared much better than I did) and created a cloned image of the fanuc data server hard drive? I'll probably need to buy another ridiculously expense, outdated drive from eBay or something and attempt to clone it but hoped maybe someone had a cloned image available with proper partition and drive structure.

Thanks,
    James

Re: Does anyone have a Fanuc Data Server hard drive clone image??

I have successfully installed a CF card in a 15MB data server which I think is the same device, worked first time, used a 1GB CF card, so maybe check your cable/adapter

Quote Originally Posted by jrs0024 View Post
    Hello,.

Does anyone out there happen to (have prepared much better than I did) and created a cloned image of the fanuc data server hard drive? I'll probably need to buy another ridiculously expense, outdated drive from eBay or something and attempt to clone it but hoped maybe someone had a cloned image available with proper partition and drive structure.

Thanks,
    James
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_formatting
    DOS level stuff. Good Topic about the CF convert over from HDD problem 1990's. A lot more other machines have the same problem.

Good Luck,
    M5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CF 1GB.jpg  

this is adapter i have used, and use original cable to Hard driveAttachment 462066

Thank you Seikiman and machine hop5.

I have solved this and learned a bit. After speaking with Fanuc about replacing the hard drive they tipped me off that the EPROM(s) on the data server that I had would need to be updated as they were a very early revision and were not capable of seeing the solid state memory. It was cheaper to buy a used data server from eBay than to pay the fanuc prices on EPROM and CF card.

After I purchased a later revision data server with a working hard drive I purchased a sweet little transcend 4gb SSD card and plugged it into the data server - it did not recognize it. I then downloaded a hard drive bit editor to actually view and change the bits of each sector of the drive. I copied the bits exactly over from the working hard disk to the SSD and put the data server back in the machine. It still did not work but it did then allow me to use the control to format the drive and it now works beautifully with an SSD that will probably last forever. It also reads and populates the program lists much faster than with the hard drive disk.

I am attaching images of the transcend 4gb SSD with has a female 44pin IDE connector and plugs directly into the data server board (with a little modification) and of the bits one would need to change if they run into this issue.

Best,
    James

Hello friend, I have the same problem, the HD gave a problem and I've already tested several IDE 4gb and without success. How did you change the hex bits? program? do you have backups of them?