585,712 active members*
4,142 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > open source machine to machine a flat surface on a steel tube or an applied strip on

open source machine to machine a flat surface on a steel tube or an applied strip on

Hi All

I have started this as a new thread.

I am building an open source machine to machine a flat surface on a steel tube or an applied strip on that tube.
    Currently at version 54.

Below is a link to GrabCAD Below that is a link to MYCNCUK where there is a discussion on using stretched wire and a USB microscope as used in the machine.

Regards
    John

https://grabcad.com/library/machine-...der_id=9681130

DIY Laser levelling using webcam and laser level

Re: open source machine to machine a flat surface on a steel tube or an applied strip

The grabcad link isn't working for me.From the description of simply machining a flat surface on a tube,do you actually need CNC for that?It would seem to be an operation you could do with any vertical mill and a power feed.

Re: open source machine to machine a flat surface on a steel tube or an applied strip

Hi Routalot

Hmm Sorry about the previous link

Try this one.

https://grabcad.com/library/machine-...linear-rails-1

The machine as shown will surface about 2700mm long tubes. Clearly they will likely have a welded strip to allow for machining the face flat. Tube is not perfect. yes there are machine shops that can do this but it will likely be cost prohibitive.

Using stretched wire as the datum the optical alignment system allows for machine to correct the errors that will be present using unground guides.

Using manual placement of the sensor head and open source software exceptional accuracy has been achieved. see the link in the first post.
    The machine is designed to make single pecks, a bit like scraping or single sweeps typically about 30mm between each repositioning of the cutter head (Using the alignment system for every peck or sweep.

The cutter will be 2mm diameter overlapping about 50%. It will not be a fast process.

If you study the materials used the cost will not be prohibitive. There is no welding all laser cut joints and fasteners are used throughout.

Regards
    John