585,931 active members*
3,646 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Motor pulley diameter Smaller vs bigger?

Motor pulley diameter Smaller vs bigger?

Hello,

I'm looking to make an rotary axis/indexer onto my cnc router machine. I'm gona use a wood lathe so that i can use the lathe also besides the cnc.
    I would use a low backlash planetary gearbox 1/10 (5arc/min backlash) and a belt reduction as a second stage. I would use an 34T / 64T combo on to get +-1/18 reduction. The reason for the 34 on the motor is the possibility to use an taperlock bush.
    The belt gives me the possibility to decouple the stepper if needed. (manual lathe work)

The questions i have:

1) Is it better to use an 20T/40T gear -> smaller gear on the motor +- same reduction. OR does this not matter much? I'm having a hard time finding the correct 20T pulley in europe, hence the taperlock.
    2)Would there be a big difference in HTD vs GT drive for this application? GT 5M15 pulleys are hard to find again.

Thanks in advance,
    Keep Safe,

Adam

Re: Motor pulley diameter Smaller vs bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by DAAD View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking to make an rotary axis/indexer onto my cnc router machine. I'm gona use a wood lathe so that i can use the lathe also besides the cnc.
    I would use a low backlash planetary gearbox 1/10 (5arc/min backlash) and a belt reduction as a second stage. I would use an 34T / 64T combo on to get +-1/18 reduction. The reason for the 34 on the motor is the possibility to use an taperlock bush.
    The belt gives me the possibility to decouple the stepper if needed. (manual lathe work)

The questions i have:

1) Is it better to use an 20T/40T gear -> smaller gear on the motor +- same reduction. OR does this not matter much? I'm having a hard time finding the correct 20T pulley in europe, hence the taperlock.
    2)Would there be a big difference in HTD vs GT drive for this application? GT 5M15 pulleys are hard to find again.

Thanks in advance,
    Keep Safe,

Adam
    More teeth engagement is always better on the motor so stick with the 34T, yes there is a big difference in tooth profile GT series is the only profile that has near zero backlash all the rest have backlash
    Mactec54

Re: Motor pulley diameter Smaller vs bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    More teeth engagement is always better on the motor so stick with the 34T, yes there is a big difference in tooth profile GT series is the only profile that has near zero backlash all the rest have backlash
    Clear!

Many thanks!