585,700 active members*
3,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Y-measuring system defective & Power Drawbar oil prob(Bridgeport Series 2 Interact 4)

Post Y-measuring system defective & Power Drawbar oil prob(Bridgeport Series 2 Interact 4)

Hello all,

Since last year i got my Bridgeport Series 2 Interact 4 with TNC150 ( :'( which doesn't have drip feed, it was a sad moment when i found that out ).
    We bought it from someone. At his location it worked all fine. When i got it and turned it on, it just did fine for a while (not running, just on standby) until an error occured.
    Ever since then this error pops irregularly. Sometimes i can turn it on and it will be fine for a few hours and some days it just wouldn't even do a few minutes.

I've tried quite a few things.
    -replaced the encoder cable with a new one.
    -Swaped the encoder itself on two axis (y axis and z axis). After this it worked for a while
    -Swaped the x and y axis in the back of the machine (just let it stand on standby)
    -Installed a other resistor on the encoder but that didn't help

I got a feeling it is something like a cable break or it is static electricity.
    The reason why i think that i might be static, is that some start ups the screen does normal and sometimes very wobbly.

Futher more i got quite a few other questions :P
    The power drawbar works as long that the oil stays in the lines. Recently i got it working but a day after most of the oil went back to the oil recivoir of the hydraulic booster.
    Is this normal or is there an easy way of getting the oil back in the lines ?

Also the machine came without guards. I've seen this machine run on 4000rpm and it very scary!
    So i want to make a few and i was wondering if someone has photos/ designs for one.

And the last one. Next to the jog there is a quick travel stick for x & y and there is one for the z axis. These don't work.
    I was wondering if any one had any idea how they should be wired. Relays do make sound when i move them. But somehow the system doesnt get input of them.
    Also i'm not sure if the should work on a tnc150 cause most of the series 2 interact 4 come either with tnc 151 or tnc155.

Any suggestions would help
    If any more information is needed, do say it. It is my first time on these forums.

Re: Y-measuring system defective & Power Drawbar oil prob(Bridgeport Series 2 Interac

Small update:

This afternoon i've tried a few things.
    first of all i tried swapping the encoders (y with x and y with z)
    Even after swapping the error of the y axis comes out.

Because of that my theory is that it problem resides inside the controller.
    So with much bravery i opened it up. Found the analogue board (wich converters the encoder signals into usefull data)
    First glances of the board looks fine. on the back there were two chips that had some residuals from soldering, this was on the x & z axis.
    Because i dont know for what im looking for. So i installed it and with no suprise the error was still there :P

Re: Y-measuring system defective & Power Drawbar oil prob(Bridgeport Series 2 Interac

If it says Y axis measuring system defective, take its word for it.

FInd another SEM motor with the same encoder on the end and swap it out[reread your posts, not sure what the problem could be]

I may have an encoder, I am not sure, where are you located

You need to push the center button on the joysticks, you need to be in manual mode and feedrate override needs to be turned up. If it is an error state it won't move
    I would not open the controller, they almost never die, Once I replaced a video driver chip, million years ago, Caps in the power supply may eventually die