584,866 active members*
5,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC plasma torch interchangeabilty

Hello all,
    I'm not new to the forum, but am new to this section, and new to plasma-cutting in general, so please forgive me if I get the nomenclature wrong, LOL.

I recently acquired a plasma cnc system and bought a cheap igbt-type 50 amp cutter to go with it. It has the non-HF blowback arc starter, and an IPT-40 torch. It works very well on the 3/8" steel I routinely work with. But now it's time to put it on the cnc machine, and I'd like to get a straight cnc-style torch for it.

Question: Are IPT 40 and IPT 60 interchangeable? I can find zero straight IPT 40 torches, and a few IPT 60 units, but many, many IPT 80 torches. Can I use an 80 on my 50 amp max machine? What are the physical differences between the 40, 60 and 80?

Thank you for any help!

Gary

Re: CNC plasma torch interchangeabilty

You should be OK going form 40 to 60 but I would be hesitant to go from 40 to 80.
    The reason being, the smaller machine may not have enough grunt to manage the larger consumables. Also be sure you can deliver sufficient air at the torch tip

Having said that I had an Everlast 50s (IPT60 from memory) once and I bought a machine torch from them and they supplied a larger 70 or 80 amp Traffimet torch which worked ok. When I compared notes with others, the cut voltage was about 10 volts lower.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Re: CNC plasma torch interchangeabilty

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    You should be OK going form 40 to 60 but I would be hesitant to go from 40 to 80.
    The reason being, the smaller machine may not have enough grunt to manage the larger consumables. Also be sure you can deliver sufficient air at the torch tip

Having said that I had an Everlast 50s (IPT60 from memory) once and I bought a machine torch from them and they supplied a larger 70 or 80 amp Traffimet torch which worked ok. When I compared notes with others, the cut voltage was about 10 volts lower.
    Thank you Rod. That's pretty much what I thought. Now I know.