585,567 active members*
3,518 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > EMCO CNC Machines > Need advice about oil for EMCO compact 6 /120

Question Need advice about oil for EMCO compact 6 /120

Hello

So i bought an compact 6 desquised as a emco turn 120. They literaly change the paint to match the 120.
    Anyway, at the moment im slowing retrofitting it and i was wondering if it is a good idea to remove the grease inlets.
    And place a central oil system in it. Because i noticed that the previous owner didn't maintain correctly.

i think it quite possible because the newer versions have it too.
    I'm not sure if it is good for the tsubacki ball screws and if it is i don't know how to correctly remove the old grease from them and let them accept oil.

In short i was wondering if you guys have any idea or tips.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need advice about oil for EMCO compact 6 /120

As you are already thinking, check with the ballscrew and linear way manufacturers on compatibility with oil versus grease.

Another thought though is to use a grease pump system. They are a bit more expensive than a way oil pump system, but the advantages far outweigh the slight cost increase. The primary benefit is not having way oil in your coolant. That alone is a big win.

I did this on my Robodrill and its great. Also a lot of newer machines use a grease pump for ways and ballscrews, so its proven to be effective as long as the right thickness grease is used (needs to flow well but be very tacky). I use Kluber.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    As you are already thinking, check with the ballscrew and linear way manufacturers on compatibility with oil versus grease.

Another thought though is to use a grease pump system. They are a bit more expensive than a way oil pump system, but the advantages far outweigh the slight cost increase. The primary benefit is not having way oil in your coolant. That alone is a big win.

I did this on my Robodrill and its great. Also a lot of newer machines use a grease pump for ways and ballscrews, so its proven to be effective as long as the right thickness grease is used (needs to flow well but be very tacky). I use Kluber.

When your machine has solid ways then you have to use oil you have no choice, Grease is fine for any machine that has linear ways his machine has solid way so has to use oil, normal way oil is Vactra No 2
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDiggerth View Post
    Hello

So i bought an compact 6 desquised as a emco turn 120. They literaly change the paint to match the 120.
    Anyway, at the moment im slowing retrofitting it and i was wondering if it is a good idea to remove the grease inlets.
    And place a central oil system in it. Because i noticed that the previous owner didn't maintain correctly.

i think it quite possible because the newer versions have it too.
    I'm not sure if it is good for the tsubacki ball screws and if it is i don't know how to correctly remove the old grease from them and let them accept oil.

In short i was wondering if you guys have any idea or tips.

Thanks in advance.
    Vactra No 2 is the normal way oil yes the 120s come with a oil lube system the oil will push out the grease, but for the Ballscrews grease can be better than oil for your ways you will need oil though, so your choice a grease system for the Ballscrews and an oil system for the ways or just an oil lube for the whole machine
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    When your machine has solid ways then you have to use oil you have no choice, Grease is fine for any machine that has linear ways his machine has solid way so has to use oil, normal way oil is Vactra No 2
    Wouldn't have thought that small machine has box ways. Most of the Emco stuff is on linear rails.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Wouldn't have thought that small machine has box ways. Most of the Emco stuff is on linear rails.

All of these older Emco mills and lathes have solid ways, only the newer machines have linear ways
    Mactec54