584,802 active members*
4,955 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Dynomotion

Page 1 of 8 123

Dynomotion

Hello All,

Getting ready to draw up my wiring schematics for my machine retrofit, I would like to see what other users have done in the past. . For those of you that decided to utilize Dynomoton, please post your wiring schematics that you utilized on your machine setups. When you post please provide machine name/model, number of axis, and what electrical systems you utilize on your setup (coolant, mist ATC, etc) also include what software platform you use (KMotion, Mach, Linux).

Thanks, Mark

Re: Dynomotion

Hi Mark,

Here are some diagrams contributed by Dynomotion Users. Please add yours to the wiki.
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Good Morning All,

I have attached some wiring diagrams for my Bridgeport retrofit, this is only the first version, once they have been finalized, I will post them to the WIKI site.

This is a Bridgeport Series 1, 3 axis with limit switches and a scale on the knee, I also will be running Biju auto lube pump, mist control controlled by a 24VDC solenoid, MPG pendant, Power draw bar that is controlled by air pressure, lights will be added at a later point. Drives and Servos will be DMM technology, NEMA 34, and DYN4 drives, TECO A-510 VFD with variable 2-speed head.

- Page 1 (Main Power)
    - Page 2 (Power Control)
    - Page 3 (VFD)
    - Page 4 (KFLOP)
    - Page 5 (MPG)

Page 3 through 5 is where I need some assistance, have added what I have read from posts and wiring schematics that others have utilized. I believe some functions may be controlled via the C programming (Lube pump during axis motion).

Please take a look and let me know if any revisions need to be made.

Thanks,
    Mark

Hi Mark,

That looks reasonable to me assuming you have an MPG with this wiring:

Attachment 460144

There shouldn't be any need to connect the Kanalog RS232 to the PC. KFLOP communicates over USB to the PC.

I'm assuming the things called Cube Relay 1/2 shown as a switch contact is really a relay coil? There should be a reverse diode across any relay/solenoid coil to avoid a spark when switched off.

The relay driver outputs switch to Kanalog GND. So you would need the GND connection of the 24V supply connected to Kanalog GND. Unfortunately if you do this and use the same 24V supply for the opto circuits (Limit switches) then you will defeat the opto isolation. Consider using a separate 24V supply.

Its not clear whether you need to incorporate SWE to keep things off while KFLOP is powering up. I believe nothing has power until the Operator pushes a button. But it would probably be better to incorporate it. I think by connecting Cube Relay 1 to SWE instead of connecting it directly to GND you can accomplish this "AND" functionality. See also here.
    TK

Tom,

There shouldn't be any need to connect the Kanalog RS232 to the PC. KFLOP communicates over USB to the PC.
    - OK, that is a easy revision, The USB should directly plug into KFLOP via the J1-USB Type B connector not directly into the Kanalog.

I'm assuming the things called Cube Relay 1/2 shown as a switch contact is really a relay coil? There should be a reverse diode across any relay/solenoid coil to avoid a spark when switched off.
    - Yes, I forgot to add that the the drawings, I will have snubbers (diode) across those cube relays once installed.

The relay driver outputs switch to Kanalog GND. So you would need the GND connection of the 24V supply connected to Kanalog GND.
    - So would I need to add an additional -24VDC to the JP11 Terminal or the JP6 Terminal Grounds?

Unfortunately if you do this and use the same 24V supply for the opto circuits (Limit switches) then you will defeat the opto isolation. Consider using a separate 24V supply.

- Utilize an additional 24VDC power supply, to include two (2) completely different power supplies? One (1) for limit switches and one (1) for all the other 24VDC circuits?

Its not clear whether you need to incorporate SWE to keep things off while KFLOP is powering up. I believe nothing has power until the Operator pushes a button. But it would probably be better to incorporate it. I think by connecting Cube Relay 1 to SWE instead of connecting it directly to GND you can accomplish this "AND" functionality. See also here.
    - Utilizing the cube relays and contacts to bring the Dyn4 Servo Drives up one at a time, I had some assistance from Jim Dawson on this set up. The KFLOP should be energized once the PC circuit is turned on. Hopefully I'm understanding this question correctly.

Thanks, Mark

The relay driver outputs switch to Kanalog GND. So you would need the GND connection of the 24V supply connected to Kanalog GND.
    - So would I need to add an additional -24VDC to the JP11 Terminal or the JP6 Terminal Grounds?
    Correct

Unfortunately if you do this and use the same 24V supply for the opto circuits (Limit switches) then you will defeat the opto isolation. Consider using a separate 24V supply.
    - Utilize an additional 24VDC power supply, to include two (2) completely different power supplies? One (1) for limit switches and one (1) for all the other 24VDC circuits?
    Yes one for onto-isolated circuitry and the other for common GND hopefully fairly localized wiring.

- Utilizing the cube relays and contacts to bring the Dyn4 Servo Drives up one at a time, I had some assistance from Jim Dawson on this set up. The KFLOP should be energized once the PC circuit is turned on. Hopefully I'm understanding this question correctly.
    When KFLOP is energized (at the same time as your PC?) the Kanalog Outputs will be momentarily in random states for several seconds until KFLOP is booted up and turns all outputs off. So the question is will this cause you any problem. If so incorporate SWE to keep things disabled until SWE turns on.
    TK

Tom,

What is the function of the SWE?

Thanks,
    Mark

It indicates when KFLOP and Kanalog have been fully initialized and all Kanalog Outputs are guaranteed to be off.
    TK

Tom,

At this point, I can't imagine that it would be and issue. Is this something that you would recommend adding as a safeguard, because this would also be a simple revision? And in the help, it looks like I can revise the wiring and let Kanalog accomplish this or add an external relay coil. So from the negative side of the the SSR, it would then go to the SW1 (JP8 Terminal), the positive of the SSR would go to OPTO-3 (JP13 Terminal) and the OPTO+3 would then go back to +24VDC to complete the circuit.

Thanks,
    Mark

Hello All,

I have made the revisions to the wiring schematics that have been suggested by Tom. I still think I need some help on the VFD circuit. Can KFLOP control spindle direction (Froward / Reverse)? I have also attached the updated wire schematics.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mark

Hi Mark,

At this point, I can't imagine that it would be and issue. Is this something that you would recommend adding as a safeguard, because this would also be a simple revision?
    Yes moving one wire as I described earlier should make it impossible for the contactor to ever close without KFLOP/Kanalog being booted up and initialized. You shouldn't need to add any relays. Right now doing something mischievous like holding the Enable Button in and cycling power on KFLOP might cause the Axes or Pumps to move. Or maybe the button doesn't have to be held in if cycling power on KFLOP doesn't somehow reset the contactor.

I don't understand the change to add Opto Output #3 in series with SW1 so both need to be on to activate the SSR for the Lube Pump?

Also it seems you aren't showing some connections. The node labeled Neutral is really the Neutral from the Pump which the SSR probably is to switch it to Line Neutral but you show an open circuit.

The scan is fuzzy, light, and hard to read. The previous was fine.

TK

Quote Originally Posted by TomKerekes View Post
    Hi Mark,

Yes moving one wire as I described earlier should make it impossible for the contactor to ever close without KFLOP/Kanalog being booted up and initialized. You shouldn't need to add any relays. Right now doing something mischievous like holding the Enable Button in and cycling power on KFLOP might cause the Axes or Pumps to move. Or maybe the button doesn't have to be held in if cycling power on KFLOP doesn't somehow reset the contactor.

I don't understand the change to add Opto Output #3 in series with SW1 so both need to be on to activate the SSR for the Lube Pump?

Also it seems you aren't showing some connections. The node labeled Neutral is really the Neutral from the Pump which the SSR probably is to switch it to Line Neutral but you show an open circuit.

The scan is fuzzy, light, and hard to read. The previous was fine.

I will take a look at it again tonight when I get home and reprint/scan to you.

Can KFLOP control spindle direction (Froward / Reverse)?
    Yes. You might read this.
    TK

Good Afternoon Tom,

I have to apologize, I'm not as tech savvy as I thought. The reason I added the OPTO3 to the SSR circuit is from what I read in Post #4 that you attached at the bottom of the post.. I was assuming that I needed to go through both the OPO out and the relay driver from the drawing that I have attached (png file). I have addressed the open circuit on the 120VAC side of the SSR. I believe it is correct, but guide me if I'm not correct. What is the best way control the SSR, the hot or neutral side of the circuit, what is compatible with KFLOP?

I can remove the OPO3 out if that makes sense for the SSR circuit.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

The reason I added the OPTO3 to the SSR circuit is from what I read in Post #4 that you attached at the bottom of the post.
    That was just an example of a way to make use of SWE. In your case you might do this to include SWE as an additional condition to activate your main contactor.

Attachment 460322

What is the best way control the SSR, the hot or neutral side of the circuit, what is compatible with KFLOP?
    It doesn't matter to KFLOP and would work either way, but its usually considered safer to switch the hot side so the motor wiring isn't hot when the motor is off.

Regarding VFD I Googled for a manual. It seems the drive can be configured to accept +/-10V to control speed and direction. It isn't clear how to control the FWD and REV inputs in that case. I'm guessing only FWD is needed and then a negative input will cause reverse motion. So I would wire like this:

Attachment 460324
    TK

Tom,

Yesterday I finalized my computer monitor, keyboard stand and installed the disconnect switch on the back of the main control cabinet. I also stripped the original subpanel and started placing components for the layout. I have already completed the PC modification in the cabinet and I modified the original Anilam by cutting down the original Anilam card cage for my new mother board and fans, it is mounted on the inside of the door just like the original Anilam Crusader M design.. I have also mounted my VFD and Brake in the high voltage cabinet and temporarily have it wired up for spindle control from the remote panel via a patch cable, it is mounted on the back of the machine along with the air regulator and air distribution block for my air operated drawbar and mist system.

Sorry for jumping in here but there seems to be a bit of confusion about my suggested E-stop/control power wiring.

I always use opto-relays between the controller and the world. I power the output side of the opto-relays from the E-stop relay, that way, when the E-stop relay is de-energized, it cuts all power to the outputs as required..

In the following example, I am showing OP1 as the controller E-stop permissive, and thus it is wired outside of the E-stop circuit. This permissive allows the controller to initiate an E-stop on some kind of fault condition, also would not allow the E-stop circuit to be energized until controller is happy.

All of this assumes that the operator has powered up the computer and the system is booted up and ready for action.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi Jim,

That scheme looks flawless to me for most Controllers but our KFLOP+Kanalog has a quirk where the Kanalog Outputs can power up in random states and be momentarily active for a short time before the Controller is initialized. I assume Computer Power is also Controller Power. So I worry about the case where the Off/On Sw1 and the Power On PB1 are both switched on at the same time or nearly the same time. If OP1 powers up On and other OPx's also power up On then other devices might be inappropriately, momentarily activated. Kanalog has a SWE relay driver output which is guaranteed to power up off and remain off until KFLOP+Kanalog is fully initialized and all outputs are off. So incorporating this as another enable condition avoids any issue.
    TK

Tom, that random output on startup is somewhat common in many controllers. That's the reason I suppress all outputs until the controller is stable.

My normal startup procedure is to power up the computer, then after it is all booted up, the G code is loaded, and any other pre-startup operations completed, then enable the control power just prior actually homing/running the machine. Presumably this would put at least a couple of minutes between the computer/controller start up and enabling the machine.

Having said that, using your SWE relay in the E-stop circuit would absolutely make sense, it would add another layer of safety in the system.

Can your SWE output be programmed to de-energize on command, like in the case of an external fault sensed by an input?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi Jim,

My normal startup procedure is to power up the computer, then after it is all booted up, the G code is loaded, and any other pre-startup operations completed, then enable the control power just prior actually homing/running the machine. Presumably this would put at least a couple of minutes between the computer/controller start up and enabling the machine.
    If that process is always followed there is no issue.

Can your SWE output be programmed to de-energize on command, like in the case of an external fault sensed by an input?
    Not really. Its based on a charge pump derived from KFLOP communicating with Kanalog and toggling a bit. It also enables the +/-15V Generator on Kanalog. So normally other Outputs are used to disable things based on a fault condition.
    TK

Page 1 of 8 123