584,808 active members*
5,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > What's wrong with this AC Servo?

What's wrong with this AC Servo?

Hi all,

So I made a cnc lathe (which I will introduce in a different thread) with a 750w Yaskawa AC servo and SGDA-08AP controller driving the spindle. After moving house, it sat unused for a few months. The other day, when setting the whole thing up again, the servo started making an awful grinding noise when turning the power on and throwing alarm A.70 (overload), even before running it. I'm scratching my head and wondering what the problem might be? A config problem, or something more serious?

Any help will be greatly appreciated - including a brief video and pics showing the issue.

https://youtu.be/DoyAoMtU0Kw

Attachment 459360

Attachment 459362

Thanks everyone!

Fit0

Re: What's wrong with this AC Servo?

It almost sounds like the gain is set to high. Maybe try auto tuning and see if that fixes it.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    It almost sounds like the gain is set to high. Maybe try auto tuning and see if that fixes it.
    Thanks Jim. Will autotuning work despite the alarm going off? Sorry if that's a silly question - servos are still a bit of a mystery to me.

You may have to do some adjusting, maybe set to factory defaults or something before autotuning. I don't know what adjustments are available in those units.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

You may have to do some adjusting, maybe set to factory defaults or something before autotuning. I don't know what adjustments are available in those units.
    So how would you autotune a servo a motor with factory default, that is never going to work

They are the same to setup as any other servo drive just a lot more options / features than a lot of other servo drives others, but they don't take much to get running
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Fit0 View Post
    Hi all,

So I made a cnc lathe (which I will introduce in a different thread) with a 750w Yaskawa AC servo and SGDA-08AP controller driving the spindle. After moving house, it sat unused for a few months. The other day, when setting the whole thing up again, the servo started making an awful grinding noise when turning the power on and throwing alarm A.70 (overload), even before running it. I'm scratching my head and wondering what the problem might be? A config problem, or something more serious?

Any help will be greatly appreciated - including a brief video and pics showing the issue.

https://youtu.be/DoyAoMtU0Kw

Attachment 459360

Attachment 459362

Thanks everyone!

Fit0
    If you had it running before the move you should check your wiring Grounding and Encoder connections
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you had it running before the move you should check your wiring Grounding and Encoder connections
    ^^^^^This... moving the machine shouldn't have affected the tuning... unless something mechanically changed. Did the drive retain the parameters you had in it? If so, check all your wiring, shielding, grounding, etc. Also, make sure your encoders, resolvers, hall effect devices, etc., are well connected. The "grinding" is oscillation.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    So how would you autotune a servo a motor with factory default, that is never going to work

They are the same to setup as any other servo drive just a lot more options / features than a lot of other servo drives others, but they don't take much to get running
    Very insightful and helpful mactec54. Thank you for posting that.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Very insightful and helpful mactec54. Thank you for posting that.
    Thanks so much for helping me think this through the right way guys. As it turns out, the drive had lost the settings somehow (prolonged lack of use?) so I manually reset the user parameters as per the manual - and now we're back in business! Thanks again. Time to make some chips!