584,837 active members*
5,428 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > Things I wish I knew before using Fusion 360?

Hybrid View

Things I wish I knew before using Fusion 360?

Good afternoon. I'm a watchmaker by trade but the current state of the world has left me in something of an employment corner. Watch work is a fantastic job if you can get it but there are only so many positions available. That said, I'm making myself step into the 3d CAD world. I have 0 knowledge, no good or bad habits. I'm downloading the personal/hobby version of the program as I write this. I'm going to start researching beginner and introduction videos on youtube and I may look into skillshare as well in good time.

My question is this: What are some genuinely basic things I should know, what are some of the traps or mistakes that new users make, and what can I expect or not expect out of the free version? I realize this is a very broad question so any and all information is highly appreciated. Any suggestions on particular users who have good education videos, websites or related content would also be deeply appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Things I wish I knew before using Fusion 360?

Watch Lars Christensen on YouTube.

Learn how to use Components to keep everything organized.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Another good youtube channel for fusion 360 is NYCCNC. He is a guy who started in a garage and documented his progress along the way with youtube videos. He does not necessarily show you the best way but he will show you some good tips and you will quickly learn there is more than 1 way to do things with cnc. The guy is remarkably positive and enthusiastic about CNC

There are tutorials in fusion 360. Use them. They will show you the basics. Once you know the basics find a model like a steam engine or something. Model every single part. This will force you to figure out stuff that might not be covered by the tutorials. Then you go look for a video that is specific to any problem that comes along. You will be surprised how quickly you can learn how to make good quality models.

I do need to point out I did the tutorials in Solidworks not fusion because that is the software I started with. The ones for fusion should be similar.

Learn basic ruler and compass geometric construction so you know things work the way they do. I assume you're very intelligent knowing how to make watches so you'll have no problem figuring out 3D design in no time. As others have said there is a huge collection of youtube tutorials out there to learn the ins and outs of Fusion. It's a great program. And even if you just use it for hobby use the price per year for the subscription is an incredible value.

Quote Originally Posted by David26_1 View Post
    Good afternoon. I'm a watchmaker by trade but the current state of the world has left me in something of an employment corner. Watch work is a fantastic job if you can get it but there are only so many positions available. That said, I'm making myself step into the 3d CAD world. I have 0 knowledge, no good or bad habits. I'm downloading the personal/hobby version of the program as I write this. I'm going to start researching beginner and introduction videos on youtube and I may look into skillshare as well in good time.

My question is this: What are some genuinely basic things I should know, what are some of the traps or mistakes that new users make, and what can I expect or not expect out of the free version? I realize this is a very broad question so any and all information is highly appreciated. Any suggestions on particular users who have good education videos, websites or related content would also be deeply appreciated. Thank you!
    Thank you all for your responses.

jiofi.local.html
    http://router-network.onl

My best advice is DONT. AutoDesk is going to screw you. Just as you have learned their product and invested a boatload of time they will pull the rug from under you and charge you an arm an leg to use their product. You need a real parametric CAD package like SolidWorks. If I had it to do over again I would not use anything AutoDesk.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    My best advice is DONT. AutoDesk is going to screw you. Just as you have learned their product and invested a boatload of time they will pull the rug from under you and charge you an arm an leg to use their product. You need a real parametric CAD package like SolidWorks. If I had it to do over again I would not use anything AutoDesk.

You were using it for free.
    If you pay for it, you can get it for $400-$500/year.

Solidworks is about $4000, plus $1200/year for support. Skip a year of support, and want an upgraded version, you have to buy it again for another $4000.

So 10 years of Fusion 360 is $4000-$5000.
    10 years of SW is $16,000. With no CAM.

Your so mad that they limited your free software that you'll pay 4x more to a competitor????
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You were using it for free.
    If you pay for it, you can get it for $400-$500/year.

Solidworks is about $4000, plus $1200/year for support. Skip a year of support, and want an upgraded version, you have to buy it again for another $4000.

So 10 years of Fusion 360 is $4000-$5000.
    10 years of SW is $16,000. With no CAM.

Your so mad that they limited your free software that you'll pay 4x more to a competitor????
    You know what happens when you assume, right?
    Your $ are wrong. F360 + HSM = $200/month

You are incorrect. I am a hobbyist, I bought Inventor, 2015 for $5000, in 2016 Autodesk changed the rules and discontinued perpetual licensing. If I want any updates, it is $13,000/year now. So I tried Fusion 360 so I could do HSM for turning (turning not available in Inventor 2015). AutoDesk changed the rules again, no more importing data from Inventor without Fusion 360 for startups. So I switch to Fusion 360 for startups. AutoDesk changed the rules again, no more HSM for Fusion 360 for startups. So, I am left with a handicapped piece of software (Inventor 2015) and another application which can't do what I need to do (Fusion 360).

I have no problem paying for the tools that I need when they produce useful results. But I am not a corporation making big bucks off of these tools. AutoDesk used to care about the little guy, because they made big bucks when they became the big guy. Now they don't care.

So, no, use AutoDesk at your own Peril.

Some good advice in post #6.It always seemed likely to me that Autodesk would ratchet up the cost of using Fusion.So I installed Freecad and have been happy with it's capabilities.I just wish it was a little more intuitive as the switching between workbenches can be a bit mysterious at times.

If you are like most people, the learning curve for CAD/CAM can be a bit steep to begin with. Yet, nothing can be more satisfying then holding a finished part in hand that you created in CAD and then machined it on a CNC. My advice is to start with the free version of Fusion and make some 2 1/2D parts to begin with and watch Youtube videos along the way. Both sources mentioned above are good and will serve you well. If you don't have a machine yet, find someone who can cut your parts and ask for advice; what they did or didn't like about your programming. Don't start with anything too challenging. Return often to the videos as you'll learn something new every time. If this is something that is growing on you, then you can decide how far you want to take it. Also, don't miss the fact that CAD is also a big part of 3D printing (a vibrant and growing part of this industry).

As far as the software goes, Big Boy programs will cost an arm and a leg (Solidworks/Inventor/MasterCam). If doing this for a living is in your future, let your employer buy and train you. But don't miss the fact that there are a lot of smaller firms out there that relay on Fusion. They can be more agile/quick to the market with their goods and Fusion may be a part of the mix. And I think you'll find that many of those things you learned in Fusion will be similar to other software.

Keep in mind that everyone here gets into this for a variety of reasons and will have a different take on what's the best approach. My advice; join the crowd and get going. There's nothing more satisfying then making "stuff'.

I was going to comment on post #6 but ger21 pretty much covered it. I really like the CAD part of solidworks. It's the first 3d drawing program I used. It works great. The cost is way out of line with what myself and a lot of small shops can afford. I'll stick with fusion 360 for now.

Pfft, Solidworks which is the industry common mid range at upper mid range pricing and lower mid range stability or Autodesk which offers lower pricing per capability with higher reliability in a lease only model can genuinely be hard choices.

I have SW 2019 perpetual that a client paid for but I own, I use SW 2021 at work. I intermittently use Fusion 360 and Inventor for contracts whenever possible because they just outshine the SW offerings.

If you actually get the same FEA and CAM with SW it's far more money.