585,568 active members*
3,460 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 16 123412

Re: Yet another epoxy granite mill

Quote Originally Posted by ardenum View Post
    Interesting, are those linear rail cooling bits on the z axis? I'm interested on what your idea is on how to make these. I have a slot in them and plan to partially squash a copper pipe on one end so its round on one side but flat on the other, like you'd do with heatpipes.
    I think the ones you are refering to are the guides for the waycovers? I made the mistake and not taking waycovers into account when i ordered the linear rails, as they could have been used for the waycovers...so the ones i ordered was too short to be used as guides for the covers...instead, i solved it by mounting two pieces of 15x30mm smooth rectangular tubing along each axis instead...

Regarding the cooling... i'm still not sure if it is nessesary or not :-/ My plan was to add coppertubing to the casting, including one pipe going down on the backside of the steelinserts for the rails....and make the ballscrew nut such that i can pass water through it.... but i'm kinda abandoning all this because i don't believe it will have a real impact on my machine... but i might be wrong? What are your plans regarding this on your build? I know that "all the cool kids" do it(KERN and the like)....but is it a must on hobby machines like this one?

Have other NOT done it and regretted it later on? Or the opposite?

Managed to do some testing on the ballscrews today. One of the things that had me worried was if i chosen the right preload for the ballscrew. As usual i have no idea what i'm doing, so i just took an educated guess;-) Sort of anyways....

Well, i hooked it up in a test-setup on a table:
    Attachment 461558

Then i jogged it back and forth and the driver says ~20% load max of the rated torque...almost the same at slow speed and full tilt(30m/min)... which is somewhat higher than i expected(hoped?)...but... is it too high? What is normal here? I am told that the servo's can run up to 300% for a period(30min), but i guess that lower is always better...

I've also checked the linear rails(which are rollers, also with heavy preload), but even though they are a lot harder to move than the average "chinese knockoff", it requires no where near the torque as the ballscrew does as far as i can tell. So i'm not worries about excessive torque waste here(maybe 1-2% ekstra)...

My thought was that i could change the balls in the ballscrew to a smaller size...maybe.... i'll have to contact HiWIN and ask if that is the procedure(anyone?) and if i can purchase the smaller balls... but first i'll have to decide if i'm happy with the current dragtorque or if i need to do something to lower it...

Any inputs are greatly appreciated!

Ah I was seeing two holes on the top of them so I thought they are cooling channels.

I'm building mine to last me a lifetime, but I'm casting in UHPC, I'm thinking that EG won't have an issue of 'cracking' if the steel guides expand slightly. But concrete is another beast so even slight expansion might put pressure on the inserts enough to develop some microcracking around them in the UHPC if the guides expand from heat. I'll be putting pipes in the casting like you described and on the under rail inserts.

Whether hobby machines need such cooling, the answer is probably not. I'm doing it for the peace of mind and because it's a cheap way of 'making sure'. A few copper pipes and a pump doesn't even come close in cost compared to the rest of the parts. So I don't see any reasons why not to do it. Here's a video, I think is a great and cheap method of cooling the rails. Starts at 1:08

https://youtu.be/y3lZ_AFvb7M?t=69

Quote Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
    With these guys:
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...834288030.html

...haven't gotten them yet, so can't vouch for quality etc.... it is always sort of a gamble with these suppliers, but we'll see when they arrive...
    Let us know when you get them, I will soon need waycovers for my build

Are you going to be lubricating the things automatically or manually?

Are you going to be lubricating the things automatically or manually?
    The plan is to lubricate it using oil, automatically. I already have the pump, tubing, fittings and progressive valve distributors. But i've actually been wondering if it is better to use grease as lubricant?

The plan is to lubricate it using oil, automatically. I already have the pump, tubing, fittings and progressive valve distributors. But i've actually been wondering if it is better to use grease as lubricant?
    Nice, I'm also doing progressive lubrication. I'm also on the fence when it comes to oil/grease, mainly because I haven't decided on the pump yet. I guess your pump can work with both? Did you get those from china too? I found 2 companies on alibaba for the lubrication system:

Jiaxing Jianhe Machinery Co., Ltd. https://jianhelube.en.alibaba.com/?s...hop_plgr.88.28
    Taizhou Yuhao Hydraulic Machinery Co., Ltd. https://cnyhyy.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a...385c672fcHpkDZ

If neither of these, I'll go with either Delimon or Graco.

As for the system I have 4x 6-valve dividers, one each for each axis and one main. I guess you didn't model them in then? It was a pain for me because I had to make fittings models from drawings, I tried getting SKF steps from partscommunity but they block accounts with normal emails(yahoo, google etc.).

Here's how my bed looks like underneath:

Remember the bottom 2 valves can't be blocked and have to connect somewhere.

Nice, I'm also doing progressive lubrication. I'm also on the fence when it comes to oil/grease, mainly because I haven't decided on the pump yet. I guess your pump can work with both? Did you get those from china too? I found 2 companies on alibaba for the lubrication system:

Jiaxing Jianhe Machinery Co., Ltd. https://jianhelube.en.alibaba.com/?s...hop_plgr.88.28
    Taizhou Yuhao Hydraulic Machinery Co., Ltd. https://cnyhyy.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a...385c672fcHpkDZ

If neither of these, I'll go with either Delimon or Graco.

As for the system I have 4x 6-valve dividers, one each for each axis and one main. I guess you didn't model them in then? It was a pain for me because I had to make fittings models from drawings, I tried getting SKF steps from partscommunity but they block accounts with normal emails(yahoo, google etc.).

Here's how my bed looks like underneath:

Remember the bottom 2 valves can't be blocked and have to connect somewhere.
    All my libricationgear is leftover from another project, so i'm not even sure i'm going to use it. At the moment it is the plan to use it...buuuut, the stuff from the two manufacturers you've posted look kinda promising!

I haven't modeled it other than a couple of mounting holes... i'm not a huge fan of Fusion360 way of modelling pipes(i tried, failed and dropped it)... but it is for sure som impressive detailed CAD drawings you have! I'm slowly starting to feel the "CAD death", i just want to build something :-)

One thing, though: it looks like you are referencing the railtrucks on both rails...is this intended?

All my libricationgear is leftover from another project, so i'm not even sure i'm going to use it. At the moment it is the plan to use it...buuuut, the stuff from the two manufacturers you've posted look kinda promising!

I haven't modeled it other than a couple of mounting holes... i'm not a huge fan of Fusion360 way of modelling pipes(i tried, failed and dropped it)... but it is for sure som impressive detailed CAD drawings you have! I'm slowly starting to feel the "CAD death", i just want to build something :-)

One thing, though: it looks like you are referencing the railtrucks on both rails...is this intended?
    Thanks. Well you know, the more detailed I can make it, the less issues I'll have later on. That's how I'll have it machined, but I will only actually use one of the edges as reference, one side is 0.5mm longer while the other is 'cad exact' with the carriage. Sort of an insurance, in case the machined part is too short I plan to grind or scrape the other side myself.

Thanks. Well you know, the more detailed I can make it, the less issues I'll have later on. That's how I'll have it machined, but I will only actually use one of the edges as reference, one side is 0.5mm longer while the other is 'cad exact' with the carriage. Sort of an insurance, in case the machined part is too short I plan to grind or scrape the other side myself.
    Ah, ok, good to have some fallback strategies :-) My largest challenge is my own impatience, i really want to get going! But at the same time i know that it would be much better to complete the drawings in cad before I start doing anything... But i've spent hundreds of hours in CAD already and i really would like to get started making something :-)

Do you have a buildthread or anything similar where i can see your machine?

Ah, ok, good to have some fallback strategies :-) My largest challenge is my own impatience, i really want to get going! But at the same time i know that it would be much better to complete the drawings in cad before I start doing anything... But i've spent hundreds of hours in CAD already and i really would like to get started making something :-)

Do you have a buildthread or anything similar where i can see your machine?
    I know the feeling perfectly! There's no build thread yet, I had to relocate some of the machine funds towards living due to covid, so it's gonna take some time before I rebuild that $. I'm gonna start the build thread once I get my first shipment of parts(months away).

Anyway, here's un updated(and properly lubricated) bed, there were some issues before, I doubled the lubrication quantity going to the ballscrew nut and switched to flexible hoses and snap in fittings instead of compression ones. Hard piping looks great but I remember how many issues I had with hard tubes when I switched to water cooling my pc, there were leaks everywhere, not worth the hassle. The main hose is gonna go into an igus E3.15 e-chain(cable carrier).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noLySw3Ghh0

Counterweight is a pneumatic system right? How do you figure that one out?

Also, from left, that's a line filter? and a resistor for each drive? So instead of having a filter for each drive you do one big for the whole setup?

Counterweight is a pneumatic system right? How do you figure that one out?
    Yeah, i like pneumatics...so i guestimated how much my Z-sled weighs and then i took a pneumatic cylinder that could pull twice that at around 5bar. There is going to be a chain between the aircylinder at the back and the sled at the front. One end is attached directly to the Z-sled and the other end loops down around a sprocket on the cylinder and then back up. This gives me a 1:2 ratio and less movement in the aircylinder...

Also, from left, that's a line filter? and a resistor for each drive? So instead of having a filter for each drive you do one big for the whole setup?
    Yeah, i had major EMI issues, so i added a 2-stage 30A line filter and some huge ferrit cores to the motor-cables. Mounted everything in the chassis and the noise problem (almost) disappeared. The manufacturer recommended one line filter for all drives...so just did that...

The resister is a break resister for each drive to make the stop faster...

Yeah, i like pneumatics...so i guestimated how much my Z-sled weighs and then i took a pneumatic cylinder that could pull twice that at around 5bar. There is going to be a chain between the aircylinder at the back and the sled at the front. One end is attached directly to the Z-sled and the other end loops down around a sprocket on the cylinder and then back up. This gives me a 1:2 ratio and less movement in the aircylinder...
    Just to be sure, you're using an air cylinder or a gas spring? Gas springs usually have a compressed gas eg. nitrogen inside them. I've read somewhere that counterbalance is done with gas springs? Sorry if this complicates things....

If its an air cylinder that means you have to pressurize the system prior to usage?

Just to be sure, you're using an air cylinder or a gas spring? Gas springs usually have a compressed gas eg. nitrogen inside them. I've read somewhere that counterbalance is done with gas springs? Sorry if this complicates things....

If its an air cylinder that means you have to pressurize the system prior to usage?
    It's an aircylinder, this one to be exact:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SC-125x400-...0/161235846191

125mm bore and 400mm stroke. It will pull 688kg@6bar and my Z-axis weighs ~300kg. Since i have a 1:2 ratio in the chain between the Z-axis and the cylinder i'll effectively have a 800mm stroke and 344kg@6bar, so it fits perfect(Z-axis travel is just below 700mm)...

I'll add a buffer-tank and a pressure-regulator. This way i can dial in the pulling force and the tank will help minimize the pressure fluctuation as the piston moves up and down....

And yes, i need to pressurize the system before usage... but i'll need air anyways, e.g. for toolchange etc....

It's an aircylinder, this one to be exact:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SC-125x400-...0/161235846191

125mm bore and 400mm stroke. It will pull 688kg@6bar and my Z-axis weighs ~300kg. Since i have a 1:2 ratio in the chain between the Z-axis and the cylinder i'll effectively have a 800mm stroke and 344kg@6bar, so it fits perfect(Z-axis travel is just below 700mm)...

I'll add a buffer-tank and a pressure-regulator. This way i can dial in the pulling force and the tank will help minimize the pressure fluctuation as the piston moves up and down....

And yes, i need to pressurize the system before usage... but i'll need air anyways, e.g. for toolchange etc....
    That's a hefty sized cylinder.

Thanks for the link, not often do I get parts handed to me on a plate and from a german seller....

What kind of leveling feet will you use ?
    Looking for them, for my machine

Quote Originally Posted by lukahr View Post
    What kind of leveling feet will you use ?
    Looking for them, for my machine
    These:
    https://uk.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detai...ductCode=LM-16

Unless i find a better alternative(?)...i haven't bought them yet...

These look nice but are even more expensive than what i found.
    I’m looking at these in size 130mm cca 65€ per foot

https://www.elesa-ganter.com/en/www/...-elements--LWA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how to even approach the feet. I thought I'll just use rubber pads and screw the whole thing to the floor anyway. I doubt it will vibrate at +5ton mass. But the rubber might turn to mush instead... I don't want to complicate it nor do I want to sacrifice any structural integrity for bolt cutouts.

Page 2 of 16 123412