584,858 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 15 of 15 5131415

Re: Yet another epoxy granite mill

Quote Originally Posted by suspension View Post
    I was wondering which sized screws you used? I have used M16 and M14 mostly for this but feel like they are too big.
    I used M12 all over. The only exception being the threaded rods that goes all through the casting, these are M16 and are used for lifting/rigging. I've placed these M16s so they align with the center of gravity og the castings and/or where they makes good sense to have lifting points.

Small update: Got the electrical cabinet mounted tonight:
    Attachment 498178 Attachment 498176

...it is mounted to rails to be able to be pushed in behind the enclosure of the mill and pulled out for "servicing". This enables me to have to mill against the wall and still maximize space for electronics...hopefully it will work :-)

/Thomas

Any ideas for a name for the machine? I'm starting to detailing some of the enclosure parts and it occures to me that i haven't got a name for the machine....and waaaay to few backlit cutouts ;-)

Ideas?

Battal. Means "big" in Turkish.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

Started to work on the electronics cabinet:
    Attachment 499226
    ...as with everything else on this project: Its kinda big and it kinda doesn't fit:-)

I have a lot of terminals, contactors, breakers etc coming in the mail within a couple of days, then it will started to get crowded :-/ Might have to choose some narrower cabletrays to get all the rows to fit...

I think i got room for everything for now:
    Attachment 499654
    ...there is still room for 4th and 5th axis drivers next to the line-filters...i hope :-)

Next up: Wiring!

Quote Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
    I finally had the chance to assemble the entire tool-release with everything and test it out. And it works!

So the whole problem is my height-contraint, otherwise i'd used a pneumatic cylinder. I also had to center the push-ring on the spindle AND make space for the coolant-through-spindle adapter on the end of the spindle. All while pushing 40.000N/4000kgf on the spindle. I was concerned that the push-ring would drag on the spindle so i built a "tower" to make the whole assembly more ridig and i added fixtures to the push-arm to keep it in line with the spindle...

But i think i nailed it and i'm very pleased with the result :banana:

....on to the next problem :-)

Great solution! With a smaller reservoir, you would likely achieve even faster and smoother unlocking. Where did you acquire this pump, and how much did it cost?
    I have a similar issue with my machine, as it also features a hydraulic unlocking mechanism, but lacks the necessary hydraulic system.

Quote Originally Posted by lukahr View Post
    Where did you acquire this pump, and how much did it cost?
    I have a similar issue with my machine, as it also features a hydraulic unlocking mechanism, but lacks the necessary hydraulic system.
    The pump is an "air to hydraulic pump" from https://www.amf.de/en/ with article no. 6904-25, you'll also need a valve to release it, i chose 6904-52. Finally you need a cylinder that matches the required stroke and pressure. I chose 6926-78-002 for my application, but it all depends on your setup, so you'll need to do your own calculations on this...

I'm pretty happy with the result. The speed of the release matches what my calculations say, around 1,5-2seconds. I'd like it to be faster, but then it would get A LOT more expensive since i have to use another type of pump(actually two electric pumps!) to get it faster at the pressure i need. Or i should add more pneumatic pumps, but then i run out of air.....in the perfect world the hydraulic release mechanism should have been integrated into the spindle, this would have required a lot less space and been much more effecient/"clean" and likely a lot faster too... but my world isn't perfect and i have to work with what i got ;-)

Pricing is a bit hard to say since "i know a guy", but AMF isn't exactly cheap. I think the listprice would be somewhere around 2.000Euro for the lot, but check with your local reseller. Or maybe look for cheaper alternatives for similar components...

/Thomas

A little progress on the electrical part of the project:
    Attachment 501228
    ...might look a bit messy without the covers on, but looks very tidy when they are mounted:-)

The panel is like 95% done. I'm still waiting on a few things in the mail, but i've been running tests with LinuxCNC and so far everything works as expected.

I also had to upgrade the electrical supply. So now the machine will have a dedicated 3-phase 400V/32A circuit with a TypeB RCD. Thats 22kW for making chips....they better be blue!

Next up: Finish the panel, finish the testing, mount it in the controlcabinet and wire the gazillion cables to the panel....and then....profit?!

/Thomas

As part of getting the electronics in order, i'm trying to figure out how i'd like the control interface....and honestly...i have no clue :-)

So, i'm making a simple "version 1" and then i'm not going to make it too fancy, then it is easier to justify a redo down the road :-)

This is my setup so far i CAD:
    Attachment 501358
    From the left it is Cycle Start / Feed hold below Feed override and spindle override. Then a jog-wheel with axis selection above(XYZ + future AC + spindle) and then multiplier(x1, x10, x100) to the right of the wheel. then a 4x4 set of utility buttons. Not sure what i'm going to use those for yet, but it could be stuff like coolant etc if i want a fast button for that or maybe just a dedicated light for something...and then estop and estop reset to the right...

All the square buttons are momentary buttons with light.

It is going to be 2mm steel plate which will be lasercut, bend and then welded in the corners. A plate can then be screwed onto the bag. It will be hanging from an arm going back to the column on the machine... not sure if that is the best idea ever, but i'll start with that and then V2 might just hang on the front of the enclosure...at some point :-)

/Thomas

/Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
    uh....this arrived just today....
    Attachment 467806

...things are really coming together now...
    Have you played with this tool changer ? Where did you order it ?

Quote Originally Posted by lukahr View Post
    Have you played with this tool changer ? Where did you order it ?
    No, not yet :-( But i have moved it around many times since it arrived because it is always in the way of something ;-) But hopefully VERY soon as the electronics is almost done and i'd like to test it...

I bought it from CTB where i also bought the servos and the linear rails....they helped source it...

/Thomas

The controlpanel starts to take shape:
    Attachment 502186 Attachment 502188 Attachment 502190
    ...next up: buttons and a ton of wires!

Nice

Waiting for CycleStart/FeedHold and potentiometers(for feed/spindle overrides) in the mail...everything else got mounted:
    Attachment 502244
    ...its starting to look like something now :-)

A couple of evenings of wiring and it should be good to go...

Got the controlpanel wired up:
    Attachment 503516 Attachment 503518

...now i just need the mounting arm for it...and attach the backplate :-)

...on to the next part: finish wiring the main electronic enclosure!

Page 15 of 15 5131415