584,802 active members*
4,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Welding Brazing Soldering Sealing > Lincoln Idealarc R3S-325 3 phase to single phase

Lincoln Idealarc R3S-325 3 phase to single phase

Converting to single phase. Using the phantom leg technique --- or is it phantom limb technique
    Reading a lot of posts about doing the conversion and finding this utube vid

Lincoln R3S-325 3ph To Single Phase Conversion w/capacitor - YouTube

pointed me in the right direction. I have converted the machine " Well " It at least turns on, I haven't tried to weld anything yet.

Hoping someone can explain my using an online calculator without understanding it's how and why's.

I have been playing around on online calculators, using different uf. 1st using a capacitor resistance calculator uf + 60Hz and " for the states" and 2nd inputting that resistance + 220v in the phase shift calculator. The different uf gives the same angle shift 45 ° and 155.56 voltage. But it does change the Currant/Amps, the larger the uf the more amps.

45uf = 58.9463R = 2.64A
    50uf = 53.0516R = 2.93A
    70uf = 37.894R = 4.11A

Capacitor Impedance Calculator
    https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/too...ce-calculator/

RC-Series circuit, online calculator
    https://www.redcrab-software.com/en/...Series-Circuit

After installing a 50uf cap. I run different settings and recorded the amp readings.

Doing trigger pulls on a big chunk of car spindle.

This is the average amp numbers from different settings.
    Using a high priced Harborfrieght clamp multimeter ($15.00)

L1 = 26.025
    L2 = 25.725
    L3 = 4.5

We can see L3 is way off from the others. When I plugin different size capacitors in the calculators, the closest numbers are 500uf = 5.3052 R == 29.32 A.

450uf = 5.8946 == 26.39 A
    550uf = 4.8229 == 32.26 A

I also noticed. If I play with the resistance value "I.E" increase / decrease the value different from what the Capacitor Impedance Calculator spits out in the Calculate RC series circuit. It will change the phase angle.

I have a 45uf cap. Next i will run the 50uf + 45uf in parallel, check if it follows what I learned from this, so far.

Re: Lincoln Idealarc R3S-325 3 phase to single phase

Adding the 2nd capacitor parallel 45uf + 50uf brings the L3 amp up to 9 amps.

I haven't been able to find any 400 - 600 uf run capacitors. I really don't want a bank of capacitors rattling inside the welder. I'm wondering if I really need to worry about evening up the L1-2-3 amps, or just leave it with the 50uf. The welder didn't seem to care, using .045 wire and huge chunk of steel didn't seem to slow it down.

Yep. I don't think my half assed welding skills will ever tax the machine enough to worry aboot. I really don't need a Ferrari as a grocery getter lol
    If ever a crazy alignment of the planets and George wins the lottery on a Friday to tax the welder, I know how to fix it

Taxing it is the wrong way to say it.
    The welder has to wiring options. Below 300v and Above 300v. So the welder isn't loosing power. Just the 3rd leg is a little small and retarded.

I know and understand all about small and retarded 3rd legs