585,728 active members*
4,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Torch Height Control advice

Has anyone had any experience with the ROBOT 3T Compact THC3T-02? I am looking for a replacement for my Proma SD (not working came with the used 4x4 table). I have a Wright CNC table that I have expanded to 4x8 with Water Table. I am running a HYP 45xp with the CPC port and machine torch. This one looked like a reasonable price but can't find a lot of user feedback on it.

Re: Torch Height Control advice

There are 2 versions of the THC3T-02, one is Up/Down and the other is Step/Direct. I have been using the ROBOT 3T Compact THC3T-02 direct control for a couple of years and my comments refer to the Step/Direct. I am using a home made machine (with Robot3T Ohmic sensor, Hypertherm 45XP, Mach3 and generating Gcode with SheetCam ). There is a bit of a learning curve and the manual has been updated to include some missing info. The biggest drawback (or best feature for some) is that Mach3 does not control the torch height when the the arc is established and the THC is working. This means Mach3 has no idea where the Z axis is after the the THC3T-02 direct takes direct control. This is not a problem if you are doing 1 cut but if you are doing multiple piercings on uneven surface, it will be a problem as Mach3 assumes the Z height is where it was when the THC3T-02 took control. This becomes a bigger problem with thin metal that tends to warp. Without re-indexing, subsequent pierces are likely to be started too low/high depending on the height of the metal at the end of the last cut and the height of the metal at the next pierce. The solution I came up with was to modify the post processor to re-index (reset Z axis) at the start of each pierce. SheetCam generically does this at the beginning of the first cut but not subsequent cuts. I have done jobs with around 100 pierces with no issue and re indexing does not add too much time to the cut.

Here were some of my newbie mistakes, in no particular order:
    The THC not working if you start cutting while the display is in one of the sub menus (setting one of the parameters);
    Too wide of an area of control - (if you cross an previous cut it will dive if you have high sensitivity and a wide range of voltage);
    Too short of a time delay before the the THC takes control (more of a problem with small circles ...again diving);
    THC working the wrong way. (error in the manual that has now been fixed)
    Not re-indexing before each cut (torch crash or pierce to high)

None of these errors represent a problem with the device, just the setup. The device does what it is supposed to do I am very satisfied with it and I would purchase it again.

Jeff

Re: Torch Height Control advice

I use this THC together with UCCNC on my homebuilt plasma table. I am happy with it and it does what I expect of it.

Unknown to most is the fact that the THC3T-02 is both "step and direction" and "up/down" in the one unit.

They are sold as two separate models, even at slightly different prices. However they are the same unit.

I purchased mine as an "up/down" unit and that is how I use it, but it will do either.

I do not use their voltage divider board that they provide. Instead I use another board that I had.

It may have improved but when I got it the documentation was woeful. Even dead wrong on some points.

Email support was inadequate until at last contact with a technical person who understood how it worked, straightened things out.

Hopefully that side of things have improved. All up I am quite happy with it.