584,800 active members*
4,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Some direction please

Hello all,
    I have started a project, and put the cart before the horse so to speak, but it had to be done.

I have developed a PCB (printed circuit board) and stared looking around at plastic injection molding for the housing. Well, since I don't have a first born or spare kidney in trade for such a process, I made the circuit board to fit inside a common 110V cheapy junction box. Now my plan is to have the 3/4 inch by 2 inch window and four- "1/8" inch holes for the buttons CNC'ed out of the blank face plate covers they already make for that box. I found some that are pretty durable made of ABS. The idea is to make a template that holds 12 cover plates at a time and using a very affordable desktop CNC with a 16"x16" table or so be able to make 500 fairly easily.

Question-s: Is there anything wrong with what I'm planing on doing?
    What is the best entry level machine between $2-$300 that may achieve my goal?

BTW, in case ABS is hard to mill, I do plan on covering the face plate with an adhesive baked graphic membrane, I can at least afford that!

Thank you in advance for any help.

EagleFox

Re: Some direction please

...adapter --- over come... build it.

where are you?

DJ

Maybe something like this would work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-3018Pro...UAAOSwOFNfHpxl

This is pretty much the low end of the price range and not much of a machine. But ABS machines very easy.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Maybe something like this would work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-3018Pro...UAAOSwOFNfHpxl

This is pretty much the low end of the price range and not much of a machine. But ABS machines very easy.
    Thank you, this is one of the ones I was looking at. I made the mistake of reaching out to my local college for help, the instructor got me confused saying he would use a laser cutter instead, that's why I thought I would run my idea past some pro's.

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...adapter --- over come... build it.

where are you?

DJ
    Florida, Panhandle.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleFox View Post
    Thank you, this is one of the ones I was looking at. I made the mistake of reaching out to my local college for help, the instructor got me confused saying he would use a laser cutter instead, that's why I thought I would run my idea past some pro's.
    If I understood that add correctly, it looks like it comes with a laser engraver head also. I have no idea if it would cut your ABS.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

A number of sites report dangerous gases released when ABS is laser cut.

Cut quality also seems to be an issue at times.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    If I understood that add correctly, it looks like it comes with a laser engraver head also. I have no idea if it would cut your ABS.
    That machine is due to arrive today. Did some homework, and it looks like the laser may not be a bad idea with good ventilation.

I have a treadmill (NordicTrack) and was looking at the frame and couldn't help but think that this machine, rearranged some, has all the major components of a badass extra large homemade CNC, even down to the variable speed motor, though it maybe too heavy? to attach a chuck to.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried this? I'm brand new to CNC'ing, so pardon me if I'm out of my league.

I think the Nordic Track frame would be a good base, but that's about it. Not really many of the other parts would be useful for a CNC machine. As you say the motor might make a reasonable spindle motor for a metal working machine, but not fast enough for CNC router work.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

A little update. So I bought the deal on E-bay (3018) and it was so buggy, I ended up send it back. It had software issues where only the spindle would work. I'm done with creating the file and just finished the template to make 15 cover plates at a time in accordance with 16"x16" work area of the Shapeoko standard. Gonna have to spend the money, but at least I tried the cheaper route. The local university has a 3D lab where I got the file created, they are upgrading their Shapeoko, so I might I get a little help just building one provided they will sell their old frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1baf62be5bcc00766c186905c3d745ee.jpg