584,842 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle vs Router

Hello,

I just purchased, awaiting shipment, of a Pro 4848. I opted for the router due to budget restraints. I am curious if anyone has used the router option and then decide to switch to the spindle. What are your thoughts on the differences?

Thanks,
    Evan

Re: Spindle vs Router

Yes. I have. Used it for a couple years and finally got the spindle. I have no experience with programming vfds so I opted to get their setup. I know I could have spent less doing it myself but, wanted minimal downtime. Tramming takes long enough.
    It's great for the sound and accurate feeds and speeds. Cuts much more reliably and since your gcode controls the speed throughout, it is a better experience overall.

That does not mean that I didn't have great results with the router. I have a 4896 in my basement and now the vacuum is louder than the spindle. I really love how it steps through words and feeds calculated correctly instead of listen and tune sorry of setup.

I will say that I learned more than I would have if I only used a spindle. Having to understand the details of everything with the router made the spindle trivial. It also made the experience something I now enjoy more because I didn't understand the difference at first. If you do upgrade eventually, you'll understand. If this is your first cnc, you have lots to learn anyway. I spent so much time understanding the tool and how to write a better post processor for my needs. It has been about 3 years and I've been able to increase my capabilities drastically over that time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes, started with my 20+ year old Porter Cable 693 and quickly went to a Chinese 2.2 kW spindle.

Biggest factor was TIR (Total Indicated Runout) on the router while try to do guitar fretboard shell inlays with a .005" bit (spoiler alert: they break).

After six years I plan to update to the Avid 3 HP spindle this year.

I used a PC 3.25hp router for several years. When it came time to replace the bearings I went with the Chinese 2.2kw spindle a couple of years ago. When I'm cutting plywood the sound of the bit is still loud but if you are doing smaller cuts or different material the difference in the sound is amazing. I haven't measured the runout but I do get a better cut so I'll assume it is less. Throw in the ability to control everything via the sw and I'm glad I made the change. Wouldn't hesitate to make the switch again or recommend it to anyone.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I might upgrade to begin since I have the money now no telling what happens later.

Quote Originally Posted by lambodesigns View Post
    I used a PC 3.25hp router for several years. When it came time to replace the bearings I went with the Chinese 2.2kw spindle a couple of years ago. When I'm cutting plywood the sound of the bit is still loud but if you are doing smaller cuts or different material the difference in the sound is amazing. I haven't measured the runout but I do get a better cut so I'll assume it is less. Throw in the ability to control everything via the sw and I'm glad I made the change. Wouldn't hesitate to make the switch again or recommend it to anyone.
    Have you tried tuning your steps per settings? I found that the default is not necessarily correct. There is a YouTube video of a guy who had issues with a laser attached to his and had to tune to get it to overlap correctly.

I used a PC 3.25hp router for several years. .
    Holy cow that's a monster of a router to mount on the gantry! I only use mine in the router table!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    Holy cow that's a monster of a router to mount on the gantry! I only use mine in the router table!
    Agree 100%. But it was fairly easy to mount..... had speed control.... and was an extra sitting in my shop. I use one in my new router table too and that is a much better use for it. After years of putting up with a less than stellar router table I finally built a proper one. It is mounted in an old table saw top and on the end I can mount a pc690 router for round overs or things that don't require a fence without changing bits. I can also swap it out for a PC portable spindle sander. I also built a router lift using some industrial feeder parts that I picked up for free. I have way too many hours in building it..... but it was a fun project.

What's the spoiler above the fence? Support?

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeekseven View Post
    What's the spoiler above the fence? Support?

Correct. Helps with support for bigger panels if you are doing something that requires it to be on edge. It was a $30 garage sale special that I picked up a few years ago to go with the incra fence. The fence also has the ability to offset each side like a jointer.

Correct. Helps with support for bigger panels if you are doing something that requires it to be on edge. It was a $30 garage sale special that I picked up a few years ago to go with the incra fence. The fence also has the ability to offset each side like a jointer.
    Nice

Pretty sure I paid close to $500 for mine....

Love my Incra, but I made my own fence for it. Too cheap to pay what they ask.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)