584,871 active members*
5,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > FANUC 18M not booting up CPU won´t start. Black screen

FANUC 18M not booting up CPU won´t start. Black screen

Good evening!

We are still down with this SUPERMAX-50 with a problem at the controller 18M that will not start.

So far I am suspicious of a problem with the graphics module. Since the problem started to show very gradually, all of a sudden the CRT monitor was not working, then I will come back up. This happened a few times (and also the controller will lose operational parameters and we had to reload them)

Until two days ago, there is no more CRT coming up. System turns on normally but no CRT screen to work with. I discarded a CRT monitor failure.

The LED error code is the one in the attached picture. this CPU number is A16B-3200-0210 / 02B
    We will appreciate any pointers that could help us find a solution. Thanks!

Re: FANUC 18M not booting up CPU won´t start. Black screen

That LED status points towards a Main PCB, or a memory issue. Are there other boards with lights on them? OPT1/2/3, or LCB? Those LED's might point to a more specific issue.

Quote Originally Posted by STLMachinist View Post
    That LED status points towards a Main PCB, or a memory issue. Are there other boards with lights on them? OPT1/2/3, or LCB? Those LED's might point to a more specific issue.
    SLTMachinist, There are no other anomalies within the other machine components. Tomorrow I will be trying something that another member had suggested to try starting up the system while holding down the DELETE, CANCEL and RESET to induce the system into a main reset reboot. Hopefully that will bring us back our CRT screen. I will keep you posted. Thanks!

You need only hold down RESET and DELETE. What that does is clears ALL memory. Be careful doing this. If you do not have a backup of parameters than the machine will not function at all. CRT might work though. You will need to reload memory.

Quote Originally Posted by STLMachinist View Post
    You need only hold down RESET and DELETE. What that does is clears ALL memory. Be careful doing this. If you do not have a backup of parameters than the machine will not function at all. CRT might work though. You will need to reload memory.
    Yes, I am afraid I might lose parameters, but to be honest, I have no other choice, as you can imagine it seems impossible to do anything without access to the CRT. Beside, I might add, this machine was already acting up prior to going to the hole where is at right now, some mornings will wake up in the mornings with no parameters, so we needed to reload all of the parameters. It has been a pain already!

Thanks, I will keep you posted.

Peloflex

Give me a call @ 2893896117 .

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    Give me a call @ 2893896117 .
    Hello Memoryman,

I haven´t had much luck with getting a hold of you on the phone, I will try again later today. Thanks!

Hi there folks,

I have an important update about this repair. First things first, We have recovered the CRT screen after following instructions for some kind of system reboot (DELETE, CANCEL AND RESET at system start up) Courtesy of a member known as BRAIDED.
    This procedure as expected, had deleted all machine parameters, so now after manually reloading all machine´s parameter, still not getting the machine back to a 100% operative. Although the machine sits there clear of any error or alarm, still cannot be start up, since it will not allow us to zeroing axis,
    At this point, we are not able to run the machine manually, with the jog nor with the handle. It gives us ALARM 1002, ZERO RETURN MISSED. It appears to be just a parameter mismatch. Hopefully one of you could shine more light to this already old issue.
    Thank you much!
    flex

That is a machine side alarm. Check for an A address on in the ladder, then trace it back to the cause. If you have a manual for this machine, it should tell you what 1002 means.

Hi,

I'm having that same issue of CPU not booting with the same top green LED's and bottom red ones as in your post at the top of this page. Did you actually get this resoled through resetting the memory?

Quote Originally Posted by aaabbbccc123 View Post
    Hi,

I'm having that same issue of CPU not booting with the same top green LED's and bottom red ones as in your post at the top of this page. Did you actually get this resoled through resetting the memory?
    Please, tell us type of machine, model and the alarm that you have.
    Do not clear memory.
    Regards

AlexFanuc