584,879 active members*
5,197 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki Mills > Sv503 - slowing down the tool change

Sv503 - slowing down the tool change

New to me machine is on the floor and I really like it, cuts great. Until you call up a heavy tool, and it slings it. Every time. I have consulted the manual, and even though I have set keep relay 13.6 to a "1", and registered the tool as heavy (in this case, T7 is now 8007), it still will not slow down and stop throwing the heavy tools. The manual mentions that all these machines are delivered with the slow tool change as the default for all tool changes. I want that! I do not run any production, so I do not care, I just need it to slow down. So, am I missing another relay or ???? Does anyone know what settings these mills (SV 503B) come as-delivered?

Re: Sv503 - slowing down the tool change

Can you post a picture of the tool arm? I have quite a lot of experience with these guys.

If you give the pins that hold the tool a good push while the arm is in the top position are they kind of sticky? Do they lock when the arm is in the down position?

The pins seem to be working fine and they do lock. What I think I am having is two problems:

1: heavy tools change too fast. I did a change with 2 heavy tools at the same time and it actually moved the arm out of alignment from all the force of trying to stop in place. The speed issue will have to be dealt with no matter what the arm is doing. That was why I changed the keep relay and tried the slow change code (no luck)

2) the tools are too loose in the tool pots. on some pots, when the pot goes into the down position, the tool simply falls out as the arm is moving to grab it. What I thought was tools being thrown is actually tools getting hit as they fall. Maybe the timing is off somewhere but the tools are so loose in the pots I can very easily pull them out when in the down position. Any other mill I have, you cant budge them.

Being new to this machine, I am happy for any insight you may have.

I finally had some time to dive into this. One end on the arm was slightly bent, so it was not putting the tools all the way into the pots. Easy fix. I also figured out how to get the slow change, and have simply renamed all the tools in the registry with a "80" prefix, and slowed them all down. Works fine now.

Only bugaboo left is that it will not do an empty toolchange. I notice in the manual that it says this can be done "put pot away empty". It just does not tell me how to do it. I have never ran a mill that would not put away an empty pot. Anyway, what am I missing?

Did you tried already M33. Machine will empty spindle and put magazine back to home pos.