585,555 active members*
3,401 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Damaged Spindle? Wrong frequency?

Hybrid View

Damaged Spindle? Wrong frequency?

Hi Guys,

I'm currently in the process of swapping my 380v 6.5kw 400Hz spindle over to an ATC version which is 380v 5.5kw 800Hz.

I'm running a Rexroth 5610 VFD and setup everything to suit the new 800Hz Spindle....or so I thought.

At this point I'm not sure why the VFD never took the settings and it ran up at 400Hz. It took me 10 mins of it running before I noticed the temp sensor inside the spindle was reading 30 degrees c. I was watching the water temp which was only 15 degrees Cand thought all was well. I should of new better but it was a long day.I switched it off right away when I clocked the internal temp reading.

Will this of damaged my new spindle guys? I need to go back tomorrow to find out why the VFD never saved down the new settings correctly.

Thanks
    Paul

Re: Damaged Spindle? Wrong frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by Smityp116 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm currently in the process of swapping my 380v 6.5kw 400Hz spindle over to an ATC version which is 380v 5.5kw 800Hz.

I'm running a Rexroth 5610 VFD and setup everything to suit the new 800Hz Spindle....or so I thought.

At this point I'm not sure why the VFD never took the settings and it ran up at 400Hz. It took me 10 mins of it running before I noticed the temp sensor inside the spindle was reading 30 degrees c. I was watching the water temp which was only 15 degrees Cand thought all was well. I should of new better but it was a long day.I switched it off right away when I clocked the internal temp reading.

Will this of damaged my new spindle guys? I need to go back tomorrow to find out why the VFD never saved down the new settings correctly.

Thanks
    Paul
    Check that your VFD Drive can do 800Hz the spec's say 5610 is 400Hz , I don't think that you would of done any damage this mostly happens when someone leaves a drive at default settings of 50 Hz or 60 Hz

So by the VFD Drive spec's it is only 400Hz output, you will need an 800Hz or higher VFD Drive
    Mactec54

Thanks Mactec,

My bad, It said 0-1000Hz on the sticker on the side but looking at the spec sheet your right. It let me select 800 Hz so never thought much of it. What VFD would you recommend as a replacement if this is the case...

Thank you
    Paul

Thanks Mactec,

My bad, It said 0-1000Hz on the sticker on the side but looking at the spec sheet your right. It let me select 800 Hz so never thought much of it. What VFD would you recommend as a replacement if this is the case...

Thank you
    Paul
    Double check then if it does say 1000Hz they may have a special drive in that series that will do 1000Hz if it won't stay once set it may not be though, it is strange it has the 0-1000Hz if it is not give your supplier a call to make sure

Delta have some that look good for up to 1500Hz are you using 3 Ph or single Phase if single phase you want a larger capacity VFD Drive than the Spindle at least 1Hp
    Mactec54

Thanks Mactec.

It is very odd indeed. I changed the control signal option to manual to use the pot dial on the front.

It is now running at 800hz. However the spindle is getting hot quickly. I stopped it it 35 degrees C.

We are sure the VFD is setup correct with matching settings so at a loss as to why it is getting so hot so quick. I've checked coolant flow etc and all seems well.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sorry it'd 3phase at present.

C0.05 (carrier frequency) is something I'm unsure of..what should I set this to for the new spindle being 5.5kw 380v 24000rpm

Here is my other settings ..

C0.05 Carrier Frequency = set to 4 but not sure what that means.

C1.05 motorrated power = 5.5kw

C.1.06 motor rated voltage = 380v

C.1.07 motor rated current = 9A

C.1.08 motor rated Frequency = 800hz

C.1.09 motor rated speed = 24000rpm.

C.2.00 v/f curve mode = default 0 linear mode

E0.00 First Frequency setting = default 0

E0.01 first run command source = can't remember but external control I expect.

E0.07 digital setting Frequency = 800hz

E0.08 maximum output frequency = 800hz

E0.09 output frequency high limit = 800hz

E0.10 output frequency low = 0hzAttachment 460780

Oh one last thing before I forget....

The vfd has an auto tuning function. Is.this something I should be utilising?

Lastly its the 3610 the 5610 but they look very similar in functionality. Sorry my bad.

Thanks
    Paul

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Just a quick update on this.

Jainken asked me to measure the current across the 3 phases and got the following results..

1.5A @ 250Hz

0.7A @ 400Hz

0.5A @ 800Hz.

Is this correct that the current is reducing the faster the Spindle speed? Also these numbers seem low, is this because they are not under load.

Any help on.thks would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul

Just a quick update on this.

Jainken asked me to measure the current across the 3 phases and got the following results..

1.5A @ 250Hz

0.7A @ 400Hz

0.5A @ 800Hz.

Is this correct that the current is reducing the faster the Spindle speed? Also these numbers seem low, is this because they are not under load.

Any help on.thks would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul

You can not measure the output from a VFD Drive unless you meter has a built-in low pass filter you will get an incorrect reading with a regular meter

You can measure the input power with a regular meter

If you have your motor parameters and the Max ( Speed ) and Minimum ( Speed ) Frequency set then yes you should use auto tune

The Carrier Frequency depending on the VFD Drives and how it is scaled 6 is normally a good starting point, when ever adjusting the Carrier Frequency there is a trade off between noise and heat the higher you go the more heat so once the spindle is at working temperature, you can adjust the Carrier Frequency but maintain normal spindle working temperature
    Mactec54