Just retired and setting up my little hobby machine shop. I had always assumed I'd use Fusion 360 since it seemed to be the package suggested on every forum I ever read. However, they've changed the rules and started rent-seeking behaviour on hobbyists, and I'm not a huge fan of being tied to cloud-based products either.

So, I'm after suggestions for alternatives. I have ZERO interest is running Linux, so LinuxCNC is out.

Probably should list my equipment and intended usage, so the replies are targeted accurately.

1. I have a 7 x 12 mini-lathe which will probably be converted to CNC eventually.
2. I am a retired electronics guy, and will want to be able to route PCBs. To that end I bought a 3018 CNC router.
3. I am designing a plastics injection moulding machine, so will need to be able to mill out aluminium dies on the 3018 as well.

I've already downloaded the Siemens Solid Edge Community Edition, but sadly it doesn't appear to have CAM integrated, that's a separate package. However I did spend 10 years running a lasercutting business in the 80s and wrote raw GCode so crude conversion programs may be an option.

Any non-cloud and preferrably free option will be considered. I'm not running a business here and my pension won't stretch to commercial offerings.

If you suggest something, please tell me WHY you think it's a good choice.

Cheers,

Rob