584,830 active members*
5,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > DIY CNC Machine - Electronics Newbie

DIY CNC Machine - Electronics Newbie

Hello there,

I am wrapping up the structural part of my DIY 5' x 10' CNC machine and I am now moving on to the electronics.

I am using an Acorn controller and three DMM DYN 4 drives & 750w Motors. I am trying to figure out the wiring for the e-stop, contactor and breaker for the 110v for the DYN 4 Drives.

I am eventually going to run it off of 3 phase power in my shop, but right now I am testing on single phase 110 at my home.

Below is a picture of my mockup so far, can you all please let me know if I am headed in the right direction.

A couple questions:

1. Is it ok to use the three pole breaker that I have shown here for single phase? Is it ok to have Neutral going through the breaker or should I just get a single pole breaker where only the line is going through the breaker and the Neutral is going directly to the terminal blocks.

2. I understand I would need to have 24v dc + on to the a1 & a2 terminals

3. Does feeding the terminal blocks in the fashion look ok? And can I then feed the DYN 4 drives with the line and netural from the bottom of the terminal blocks?

4. Is this completely wrong lol

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Contactor.jpg  

Not sure if the image attached to the main post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB9447F7-9300-4697-8EE5-9917B325FDE6.jpg  

Re: DIY CNC Machine - Electronics Newbie

While unusual it is acceptable to run the neutral through the breaker, won't hurt anything for bench testing.

I can't read the coil voltage on that relay, but if it is 120VAC then for temporary bench testing you would need to disconnect the E-stop from A1 and connect that red wire to the black (hot) wire. Then put a jumper between A1 and neutral.

The terminal blocks will be OK for bench testing, but don't use them for operation.with those jumpers in there, they won't live long.

When completed, your power panel should look something like this. Note the heavy power distribution block feeding the drives.

The 4 ice cube relays are all part of the E-stop circuit, switching both 120VAC (2) and 24VDC (2) in this case.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks for the reply.

What a beautiful and professional-looking panel.

Do you recommend a breaker and e stop contactor for each DYN4 drive?

Also, any reason all of your wiring is black?

Thanks again for the reply.

Thank you for the kind words. Not as good as normal because I was limited on space. And it was for my own in-house use.

This is what it should really look like. A lot cleaner and was for a customer. This is a single phase panel I did, 50 amp breakers and contactors for the drives.

Each drive should have its own breaker and contactor in my opinion. Unless you want to install one 75 amp breaker and a 75 amp contactor. In this case I also sequence these on with a 1 second delay between them so it doesn't throw a huge inrush current on my line. Those are 35 amp C curve breakers and 35 amp contactors for a 3 phase system.

Having said that, DMM does suggest that a single breaker and contactor is OK for multiple drives per their diagram on page 23 of the manual.

It is common practice to wire industrial panels with black wire for the high voltage on 3 phase systems. And I had a spool of #10 black on rack.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Ok, the other one was nice, this one is downright sexy lol

Ill DM you about buying a ready-made panel from you. It would take me a longgg time to figure out how to put this together methinks.