585,727 active members*
3,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Post processor creating incorrectly dimensioned parts?

Hybrid View

Cool Post processor creating incorrectly dimensioned parts?

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if anyone has any suggestions on this but this is becoming a real head scratcher!

Currently, I run files through two different CAM set ups. Vcarve pro and SwoodCAM for Solidworks, Each software has its own Post Processor. If I create two files the same, one modelled in Solidworks and the other simply drawn as a 2D Vector, it results in two components of varying sizes.

See the attached images for reference. Vcarve its cutting things perfectly whilst SwoodCAM tends to cut everything approx 0.5mm over on the X-axis and 1mm on the Y-axis.

Is it possible for the PP to affect the final dimension of cut parts?

any help, or pushing in the right direction on this would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1.jpg   IMG_2.jpg  

Re: Post processor creating incorrectly dimensioned parts?

Is one climb cutting and one conventional? That'll give you different sized parts.
    I wouldn't expect the post processor to be the issue. Not familiar with SwoodCAM, but Vectrics post processor won't have any effect on size, unless it limits the number of decimal places and you get rounding errors.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Post processor creating incorrectly dimensioned parts?

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Is one climb cutting and one conventional? That'll give you different sized parts.
    I wouldn't expect the post processor to be the issue. Not familiar with SwoodCAM, but Vectrics post processor won't have any effect on size, unless it limits the number of decimal places and you get rounding errors.
    Hi Gerry,

Thanks - that is interesting! each path was indeed running in the different direction. Currently in the process of running some tests to see if that changes things.

Out of interest why would climb vs conventional create differently dimensioned parts?

Many thanks,