585,690 active members*
4,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > CAT40 Toolholders for Mini Mill

CAT40 Toolholders for Mini Mill

I am shopping for CAT 40 toolholders. Wondering if anyone is using CAT40 ER toolholders from CME Tools. They are 1/3 the cost of Maritool tool holders. I am looking for 20 tool holders so the cost savings is considerable. Any recommendations for a source of quality CAT40 Toolholders. They are for a Mini Mill with 10K spindle,

https://cme-tools.myshopify.com/collections/cnc-tooling

Steve

Re: CAT40 Toolholders for Mini Mill

Hi Steve,

Since no one is answering your post I'll give you a little advice that will get my head torn off by the rest of the posters.

I have only two CNC mills but I have about a hundred tool holders, as I like to keep a bunch of tools handy. Some of them are name brand tool holders and others are Chinese. The latest batch I bought are cheap ones off of eBay. The quality of the holders from China and elsewhere has improved so much that they are hard to fault. Competition makes quality go higher. I can take one of the inexpensive holders with ER-16 collets and put a 1/4 inch endmill in it and do a drill plunge into a piece of material and not be able to put a 1/4 inch dowel pin in it afterward. The endmills are ground a tenth or two undersized as you may know.

The reason I say this is that if you want to get started and need a bunch of holders, you might want to experiment with a batch off of eBay and some US made and see if you can save money. Also remember that collet holding tools have to mate four different surfaces, but a single size holder mates only two. If you want to mount a 1/2 endmill, It is best to use a 1/2 holder not an ER-32 collet holder for a 1/2 in. endmill.

Lastly, since you have 10,00 rpm at your disposal, make sure to get ones that are balanced for the rpm.

Have fun with your new machine.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

:-) yeah... Same thing on our side. Lot's of both type. Here is my short 3 cents. CME tools. I like them. Live not to far and drive up there. Have quite a bit from them. Use for knock around stuff and day to day. The serve a purpose. Then, we use eBay and select qualty tool holders at a fraction of the price. you can get very expensive used holders rather inexpensive. We have probably 15 that way. There are also folks on FB marketplace that we've found out of OH that sell used quality holders. MBG as well on them.

Thanks Guys. I've ordered a few from CME and a few from Maritool. I should have them next week. I'll also take a look at FB market place and ebay.

Can anyone recommend a good 3 inch face mill?

Steve