584,871 active members*
5,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 6 12345

Re: pcnc440's after near 3 yrs

Where did you order the monitor and keyboard mount from?

I got the mounts on amazon for around 60 . For the cheap cost they are fairly sturdy and work well . The keyboard tray is sort of hinged so I need to use zip ties to keep it laying flat , otherwise the weight of the tool holders is a problem

Same guy I got mine from . I bought 2 , one for the new mill and one for my torus . I have a large roller floor mount for the torus that I found at a yard sale but it's a bit big and it has to go

something that I highly recommend for any shop that has a lots of chips flying is these keyboards iKey SL-86-911-USB-P . I found a used lot of 11 on ebay for roughly $100 and I love them. A couple were duds but it was still a super deal considering the price of new . Before hand I've gone through piles of keyboards and I really don't like those cheap roll up silicone keyboards

Glad to see so many with these machines. I picked mine up a month ago in Milwaukee. I have several parts I have run on it and plan to run about 10 different parts that I make. The Mirco Arc should be here tomorrow and the ATC in a couple of more weeks. I have flood coolant and mist. The mist I have to turn the air on manually at the moment. I have an I/O board coming and will be able to control both the flood and the mist with Fusion 360.

the micro arc looks like a solid little unit . I'd have bought one but they didn't have a rotary option when I needed one . Instead I mounted a sherline rotary which was plenty good for the small parts that I needed . I've since bought a different rig and will give it a try when I need to do another rotary job . There is another line of product that I've considered breaking my way into and if that happens then I'll likely get a couple of the micro arcs just to have solid permanent setups

my 50mm face mills have done a great job up to this point , except they are cheap and unbalanced which leaves me running them at 6000rpm . At 10k they aren't too bad but there is some vibration which I don't like .
    I decided to buy a few of these aluminum body mills from ebay for the sake of trying something different .
    At first glance there is the obvious weight difference between the steel body and the aluminum . 3 screws were the proper torx screws , the 4th was a phillips which really comes as no surprise and I just robbed a screw from the older holder .
    At 10k it is a night and day difference and it sounds near the same as it would with no tool in the spindle at all . With the aluminum cutting inserts it cuts as expected . All my mills will have the face mills swapped .
    The idea of an aluminum tool holder still doesn't sit all that well with me but I only cut aluminum on my machines and time will tell if these are good or worth their weight in scrap . I'm interested to see how well the insert screws stay in place . There isn't a lot of force being applied so hopefully the screws hold , and I'm not expecting the seats to mash over time so I'll see how it goes

As it stands I'm conservative in the cuts and .03" is about the deepest at a 40%-60% engagement . At 6000rpm and 20ipm the old mills have run flawlessly even on heavier depths of cut . 50ipm works well on lighter cuts but anything heavy has stalled the spindle . I'm expecting 10k at 40 should do the trick . It's nothing of a chip load but only so much can be expected from such small spindle motors , plus the finer cut gives a nice finish anyhow

I recently bought one of the aluminum heads that you mentioned. It seems decent. Curiously, it came with Helicoil style inserts for the screw holes (and all of the screws were Torx!).

now that you mention it these have helicoil as well . I didn't look at them closely and assumed they were tapped . The other 2 have the right screws . The first one had 2 torx screws that were screwed into the holder , and a torx and a phillips screw were thrown into the plastic bag that the holder was wrapped in . Regardless , they seem pretty decent for 20 bux

What are you cutting with the shell mill? I have one and I was having a HELL of a time on my 440. It was A2 tool steel, but man...it put up a fight. I really didn't have a good idea what rpm or feed rate to use it at. I couldn't find anything as a rough start online and the Chinese manufacturers just don't have that info available. Some people say 1200 ish rpm, some say "very fast" and that is my understanding of carbide, but that was 3200 rpm for me...guess I should have tried faster but I was seeing red hot chips flying. I tried .001" and .0015" bogged down to almost a stall at sub 5 sfpm. Any lighter of a cut and it would just be rubbing and work hardening. When drilling it...I found full out pushing through was the only way to go...pecking just caused stalling.
    SO....I'm guessing you're running aluminum?

I've only ever run aluminum on mine . These mills don't have a lot of power so it would take some playing to get the right feel for any steel cutting . I think this size mill has a lot of leverage working against it so I'd probably chose a 3/4-1" for insert cutters . For the most part I'd probably just use variable flute variable helix end mills for anything like a2 d2 t1 etc .
    When it comes to chinese inserts I don't mind the sharp aluminum inserts but I picture the steel cutting inserts as being on the same level as trying to split a log with the back side of an axe . Insert speeds and feeds tend to be fairly material specific when calculating speeds and feeds . If you can't find the right numbers for the chinese inserts then maybe finding the sfm for some of sandvik's softer insert may be a good start

Tigster
    I just remembered a brand of insert that was deadly and would probably work well for you . I've used stellram who had inserts that at a glance would lead a guy to assume the were for aluminum . They are very sharp and they cut nicely on materials like stainless and such . It's been around 18 years since I've used them and I'm sure those exact ones would have been discontinued by now , but it's highly likely that they'd have something similar since they don't usually drop a tool without having a direct replacement . If I remember right they are Swiss made and they won't be cheap but they would require a lot less of the blunt force needed for typical steel cutting inserts

This is one immediate change that I recommend to anyone who is terrible with cleaning chips from the machine tray . Change the x motor around as in the pic . With the cable pointing downwards there isn't a lot of clearance and it will cause the casing to eventually break and risk cutting one or more of the stepper wires , I learned this the hard way

Odd ... that's how mine came . No need to turn

interesting . maybe they are random how they position the motor cable . All of mine pointed downwards at the connector . With this new mill I've got the jump on that problem

I just looked and mine is pointed down...New machine 5 weeks ago

nothing particularly special , the screw arrived for the x axis on my new mill . This will put the x travel to 11.5" which is pushing it , but , I don't need it to travel that far too often . I tried a seller on amazon who has a good rating and the nut fit is excellent

The screw on the mill is easily accessible and the swap only requires the switch to be moved and the plate to be removed from the other end . Also the ini needs a quick change from 10 to 11.5 . For less than a 100 bux and 20 minutes worth of time it is a worth while mod

for anyone who bought the control pc's , I suggest you give them a shake every so often . If anything rattles then the cpu fan fell off the board .
    I've never seen this in my life but 2 of 3 pc's had the fans detach from the motherboards while sitting on the shelf . For the money they originally charged for those computers I'd have expected a better quality build .

It's not cool considering I leave them running for weeks if not months between boots , and I'm sure the cpu's have seen some heat

It's possible they are selling better computers now , but these things are turds
    I did a quick fix and I'm going to find some more hp elites and replace them all over the next little while .

Aren't they using little Intel NUC's now? I didn't think any of them had fans

I have no idea what comes with them now , these are over 3 yrs old computers and they all have cooling fans . I'd have assumed they are still using the same or similar but I may be wrong . I opted out from getting the control for my latest mill and I'm using an hp

Page 3 of 6 12345