584,863 active members*
4,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wiring nightmare please help!

Up front i dont know much about wiring, I bought an old cnc router that uses an old IBM with AmeriCAM software. The software looks like a simple 2d type software that uses dxf or VC (visioncam) files. It uses pacific scientific 6410 stepper drivers and a augat rdi 2m25ds breakout board. I downloaded Mach3 but have no idea what the ports and pins configuration should be. The stepper driver has a 9 pin connector but only 4 wires from that connector to the breakout board. I checked with a multimeter and they seem to be step+ dir+ and step- dir-. Thanks in advance for any help. I added some picture if that helps and can add more if needed. Tanks again.

Re: Wiring nightmare please help!

Why not just get rid of all those old electronics and obsolete software, strip the router down to the motors and frame, get a modern breakout board and drivers, some new software that will work in all 3 dimensions, load it on a newer computer, and have a router that's more or less up to date instead of a reanimated dinosaur?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Mate. Suggest you download the Mach manual along with the driver and motor data sheets. And start right at the beginning with some videos. Lots of people have posted movies of themselves setting up Mach and steppers.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

I traded for this so I could try to supplement lost income from covid. I'm really not in a position to put a lot of money into it right now. I looked up the stepper drivers that are used on this machine and they are over $400 each and they move the machine, would new drivers make a difference? I looked at the mach3 manual but I don't understand what ports and pins is looking for. I have the step+ from all drivers together on pin 15 of the breakout board, all dir+ on pin 14 then the dir- and step- for each axis are on individual pins Are these the pins or ports that I need to setup in mach3?

Ok well don't replace them. So when you read about ports and pins. Mach on your PC needs to talk to your controller this is through the port. It then needs to know which pins drive which motor, and in what direction. So this is imperitive to get correct. There are settings that you will need to input.

Like I say, start right at the beginning of the Mach manual. Work methodically through the steps. Watch videos. Expect for a week or two to go by. It takes time to learn.

But much better to learn rather than stumble on success because if something faults or similar it will be a nightmare to fix.

Lots of gurus here to help. But arm yourself with some more info first.

Also your drivers may well require an input "enable" voltage. Perhaps concentrate on getting one motor to work first. B

The machine didn't move at all when I got it home. I completely disassembled the controller cleaned and rewired everything. I found the contactor didn't have power and a burned wire on a limit switch. I got everything working with the old software (ameriCAM). my problem is I dont know what mach3 is looking for as far as ports and pins. It doesn't say in the manual and all of the videos I've seen dont say. This can't be this complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by OldButNewToMe View Post
    The machine didn't move at all when I got it home. I completely disassembled the controller cleaned and rewired everything. I found the contactor didn't have power and a burned wire on a limit switch. I got everything working with the old software (ameriCAM). my problem is I dont know what mach3 is looking for as far as ports and pins. It doesn't say in the manual and all of the videos I've seen dont say. This can't be this complicated.
    Ok thats awesome it went prior to Mach. You have read this yes?

https://www.machsupport.com/wp-conte...all_Config.pdf

You have it wired wrong.
    All the step- and dir- should go to a parallel port ground pin, which I think are pins 18-25.
    The step+ and dir+ should go to individual pins, and are the pins you enter into Mach3. The port number will be 1.. You need to make sure port #1 is enabled in Mach3, and the correct port address is entered.
    What operating system is the PC using?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The original software is on a windows 98 computer and it works. I need to configure mach3 on a windows xp computer. Thanks everyone for the help I'll try again in the morning before work.

Thanks for the link.. Yes, I read it i just don't see or im not understanding where it specifically says what wires I should be using from the stepper drivers. It just says use info provided from the cnc manufacturer and that is something I dont have. I can't find much of anything from them.

This is your driver yes? I think page 2.5 has a wiring diagram. Your dir and step inputs will relate to your output settings on your Mach ports and pins tab. Ground is common. Are we talking the same unit as this? Attachment 461140

Thanks for the help. I found the original breakout board worked with the old windows 98 computer because that computer put out 5v through the parallel port. The newer windows xp computer only puts out 3.3v. I bought a C10 bob and everything started working. Thanks again for the feedback.