584,837 active members*
5,526 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Need some advice on resetting Encoder overflow

Need some advice on resetting Encoder overflow

I had a guy come in to level machine that worked for Okuma Dist and I could move every axis on machine before they came and after they came I noticed he was on his phone pacing back and forth. Long story short he comes and says I’m going to have to get Okuma applications out here because the machine is missing some parameters and he couldn’t get them as fast as the dist could. The whole reason I hired them is because they were recommended and the dist is minimum 2 months out. He charged us $2k was here less than 6hrs and now my machine is alarming out with a “axis needs adjusting inductosyn 5 “ and the XA/XB is in overflow. The machine still isn’t level. It’s a Macturn 250w E100L control and I’ve literally messed with it a week and called the Dist with a tech call last Wed and still haven’t gotten a call. Any help would be truely appreciated. I’ve had this machine 7 months and it hasn’t cut anything. The machine was demo to us before we purchased and I wanted it completely maintenanced and gone through before we put it to work is the main reason I wanted the dist to come in and get it leveled and all lubricants fresh. Now I gotta get it back to where it was before someone even comes out to try and level it. Thanks guys

Re: Need some advice on resetting Encoder overflow

it's a job for Okuma certified engineer now, believe me. The most you can do independently is to check cable and connectors to the relevant encoder.
    Check if some axis is not over limit now.
    For MacTurn you can command travel with X and Y axis on certain conditions only. Maybe this is the case? - check the position of X with parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    it's a job for Okuma certified engineer now, believe me. The most you can do independently is to check cable and connectors to the relevant encoder.
    Check if some axis is not over limit now.
    For MacTurn you can command travel with X and Y axis on certain conditions only. Maybe this is the case? - check the position of X with parameters.
    Is there a way to override and get machine back to home position to try and get everything reset to zero because the machine is not at home on x y or z. I can turn the spindle by hand and the encoder is reading but as soon as it quits turning it’ll say fr+overflow. When turning the fr reads 0.00 and v reads numbers and S reads numbers up and down depending on how fast you turn it. The encoder is reading but the inductosyn isn’t saying it’s bad it’s saying it needs adjustment. Could it be a certain procedure I’m not doing ??

I’m not able to use pulse handle with this 3316 code not resetting.

If you can move axes, just move them to home positions with pulse handle. Check the combination of axis controls. There can be buttons on the OSP to set the axis control mode - depends on specification.
    Sorry for asking again - have you the operator manual and maintenance manual?
    If the machine is set as the upper turret like lathe then Y axis must be at the certain position ( maybe even clamped there ) and axis control mode set accordingly.
    It the upper turret is set as active tool, then main spindle must be engaged and maybe separate set of axis control choice. Should be reflected on the OSP indicators.

Can't tell, however, if it is related to "encoder overflow".
    That's why I advice to delegate this task to certified Okuma engineer.

I can’t move axis at all with pulse handle. When I look at Rapa ect it’s all 0.00 but when I turn machine it’ll show S: speed and V: Velocity but Fr is in Overflow and alarm inductosyn needs adjustment 5 which is SA axis but I’m lost on procedure to get it set and I figured it’s a certain procedure to get it set because if encoder was bad you’d think it would set encoder alarm fault but it’s asking to “Please Adjust Inductosyn” all others set but SA did not but at the same time I’m not sure if I need to turn a certain bit on or off to be able to set this axis. I appreciate you replying.