585,665 active members*
3,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Tram vs Square - what's more important? No adjustments on head.

Tram vs Square - what's more important? No adjustments on head.

On my SX2.7, there's no way to adjust the tilt of the head in relation to travel in the Z axis - it's one single casting. I can only adjust the tilt of the column by shimming.

So I can either have the travel along the Z axis square the the table, but with the cutter at a slight angle, or have the spindle trammed but with a slight shift in the X/Y axis as the Z moves up and down. Which adjustment is more important to have dialed in?

Re: Tram vs Square - what's more important? No adjustments on head.

You want the 3 axis mutually perpendicular, do this first.

If the axis of the spindle is not parallel to the axis of the X axis, first make sure the gib of the head is properly fitted and adjusted. Then look at possibly scraping the dovetail of the head.

How much is the spindle axis off?

I have not checked how far off it is yet - I'm currently rebuilding my spindle and waiting for some bearing spacers, so no place to mount the indicator for now. Just doing research on what I need to adjust on a new machine. May be a non-issue (hopefully).

...Bench Top machine's need to be correctly Leveled and bolted down to what ever you are using for a Bench/Stand. It is possible to twist or even break the Base when clamping the machine down. So, start with a good Flat Bench is a good Idea.

DJ

Keen has a good video on squaring the base of the mill.

The table should run square as measured by a level. Achieving this requires a leveled base setup as mentioned by m5.

The column is another bag of worms all together.

Quote Originally Posted by mb300sd View Post
    On my SX2.7, there's no way to adjust the tilt of the head in relation to travel in the Z axis - it's one single casting. I can only adjust the tilt of the column by shimming.

So I can either have the travel along the Z axis square the the table, but with the cutter at a slight angle, or have the spindle trammed but with a slight shift in the X/Y axis as the Z moves up and down. Which adjustment is more important to have dialed in?
    Bummer.
    This is one reason why I went with the AMAT25LV from Amadeal instead when I was looking for a mill.
    Shim the column to get the spindle level with Y axis and call it a day. I can't see a way to do the head alone.

See, with mine, the saddle and head can seperate. So I can put a wedge spacer between them. It's 0.16mm out whichever why I go with it.
    So I skim a 5mm thick flat piece of ally along it's length that has 0.16mm difference either end. Bolt it in there, and I can get both Y&Z near perfect.
    (Just in case you decide to change machine in the future.)