584,842 active members*
4,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam v 8.1.1 help needed

Cool Mastercam v 8.1.1 help needed

Gentleman,
    Newbie here. I bought a 2004 Haas minimill used from a guy. With the machine he gave me a Mastercam v 8.1.1 program. Now Im trying learning to run the machine(no cnc experience). Im also trying to learn the mastercam . I have looked on Youtube for tutorials for this version but everything I can find is newer. I also signed up for the free Mastercam university stuff but again too much different from the version I have. Anybody have any old manuals or know of any place I can go to learn this version?
    Mike

Re: Mastercam v 8.1.1 help needed

you can purchase tutorial here : https://www.vtpros.net/product/maste...ideo-tutorial/
    mastercam is powerful program, although they are old version. If you upgrade them, they will be very very expensive.

I think this book will include examples up to Mill Level 3. These are high quality and were distributed by Mastercam sales reps.
    Link --> https://www.amazon.com/Mastercam-Mil...s=books&sr=1-1

btw MasterCam V8 and X8 are very different things
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

btw MasterCam V8 and X8 are very different things
    Sorry, yes they are different release... MasterCam V8 very old ...

Thanks for the replies. I was told it was 1998 release. Yeh Im sure an update would be expensive but since im just trying to learn it I dont want to spend the money yet.

It may be old but its still very capable.The only thing I remember as being a bit odd was the way you could extend a line to meet another by using the trim function.One other important thing is to remember to join drawn entities if you intend to cut inside or outside a closed shape.Selecting left or tight with un-joined entities can lead to bizarre results because of the start points of each separate entity.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    you can purchase tutorial here : https://www.vtpros.net/product/maste...ideo-tutorial/
    mastercam is powerful program, although they are old version. If you upgrade them, they will be very very expensive.
    I checked this out. It said the video was X 1-7. Someone mentioned x & v were different do you think this tutorial will work for my v 8.1.1 version?

Quote Originally Posted by lawman1331 View Post
    I checked this out. It said the video was X 1-7. Someone mentioned x & v were different do you think this tutorial will work for my v 8.1.1 version?
    No.... they are very different. Do not even consider looking at 2017 & later versions, as these are even more different.

Any tutorial or manual that goes up to v9 would be of a learning benifit
    ... if you have the sample files, also look at them. And at any installed documentation

You can download the latest home learning version. It is timed, and, it cannot post any gcode. I think it would not be of any use, unless you end up getting the 2020 version.

Ok so I ordered the book that cyclestart suggested and I have located some video's on youtube that seem applicable. Hopefully I can learn something.
    Thanks for all the help. I'm sure ill have more questions. lol
    Mike

V8 will be just fine for probably 90% of anything anyone needs to mill. Stock a few extra old XP computers to run it. I'm not sure if it will work on 64 bit systems.

Version 8 and 9 use the same interface. The user interface in X (version 10) was changed completely. Just looked on Ebay.There is a copy of version 9 Listed as
    Mastercam Cad/cam Systems Leader In PC-based Software, Preowned. Price of $19.99 with no bids at the moment. Hope this helps