Hi Folks,

First post here. I've recently acquired a used Roland MDX40 desktop mill which, as an amateur, I'm gradually getting to know and use. Some models are supplied with a Z axis sensor like this: https://www.lamtekno.fi/p6229-for-md...sensor-fi.html which allows the machine to detect the z axis. (picture attached)

At 115.00 euro it seems a little steep for me for what looks like a grounding sensor. - But I don't know, perhaps it's more advanced. I suspect it would be fairly straightforward to make a sensor easily enough - but I wondered if anyone knew the methods that this sensor uses.

It connects to the back of the machine with a 3.5mm mini jack. This has two wires connected to the control board pcb. I've tried just running the sensor software and attaching a wire from the jack to the tool head to make a circuit, but it doesn't trigger the sensor - the tool head just keeps moving. So there seems to be a bit more going on. It's made out of brass - I assume just to provide a material of the right hardness and conductivity? Is there another reason brass is used?

Does anyone have any experience using this z0 sensor and advise how they work?

TIA